Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need new nighttime diaper strategy

So far, the thing that has worked great for my eldest son's tendency to pee a lot at night had been just to size up in his regular diapers (Costco's Kirkland Signature diapers, which are pretty much the same as Huggies). That's worked great... until a little while ago, when he started exceeding the capacity of the size 5 diapers at night. We tried moving up to size 6 diapers, and that worked better for a while, but now he's outpeeing those as well... and there is no size 7 to move up to.

He's a long skinny 2.75 year old guy at 27 lbs, so he "should" be in the size 4-5 category. The size 4s seem to fit well and we really never have any troubles whatsoever during the day.

SInce the crazy pee-leaking has started, both overnights in his regular size (Fisher Price Happy Days/Nights - the days part of the box worked great, but the nights were VERY not happy for us!) and also size 5 overnights (Pampers Extra Protection, which seem to be marginally better).

We've tried pushing liquids more during the day and discouraging them at night - mostly via having fun straws during the day and asking him if he'd like to drink regularly during the day, and then ceasing both in the evening... but he frequently requests water at night, and then we give it to him. The trying to encourage more drinking earlier helped but only to the point that we have SOME nights where I don't have to change bedding in the a.m. - still more leaking than I'd like.

I'm going to try the Huggies Overnights next, maybe in a size 6... but wonder whether there are any other pieces of advice to try?

What about a cloth diaper "doubler"?

Does he pee in the potty at all? When DDs were first potty training, we'd wake them up right before we went to bed for a potty break. Any chance that would work with him? They went right back to sleep, even our restless sleeper.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Does he pee in the potty at all? When DDs were first potty training, we'd wake them up right before we went to bed for a potty break. Any chance that would work with him? They went right back to sleep, even our restless sleeper.
    Nope, potty is being actively boycotted. We're offering regularly, but met with firm refusals! Sounds like a good idea, though!

Absolutely try Huggies overnights, they're great.
    You can also buy disposable diaper doublers at BRU/TRU that go in a diaper to add absorbency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    You can also buy disposable diaper doublers at BRU/TRU that go in a diaper to add absorbency.
    I'll give the Huggies Overnights the next try - do you think a size 5 should do it, or should we go up to a 6?

I will definitely look into the disposable diaper doublers, too... that sounds like a good idea!

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The disposable diaper doubler worked great for my DS. They are hard to find. My local BRU couldn't keep them on the shelves because they were so popular.

AKMom is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post

This is what I finally started using after months of wet sheets. I have a night nurser who was soaking through her diaper every night. The extra padding of the diaper doubler (ours isn't actually called that but it's a plastic package at BRU over with the dipes) was the key! Just a Huggies overnight didn't do the trick. We haven't had a wet bed in months!!!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Diaper doublers (disposable or cloth) and if necessary a cloth diaper cover over the diaper to keep all the moisture contained. That's what worked for us. And limiting fluids an hour or two before bedtime.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I third (or fourth?) the rec for Huggies Overnights. We usually use cloth but I finally switched to the Overnights after a few weeks of consistent wet jammies and sheets that defied lots of doubler combinations and 7th gen disposables.

Sounds like we're in a similar situation. DS1 is in Size 5 daytime dipes. We size up for night time Huggies overnites and have generally had luck. So right now he's in Huggies Sz 6 overnights. We still occassionally have accidents but generally infrequently.

We also do the following: Insist on him trying to go potty on the potty before bed every night and first thing in the AM. This helps alot. Reducing liquids in the evenings probably would help, too...but since we don't get home until 6:15 and bedtime is 8 pm with dinner in between...well, he gets liquids.

GL!

ETA: Just saw that the potty is being boycotted. DS1 boycotts during the day with us, but generally is good about AM/PM for us. We offered money (he gets to choose a penny, nickle or dime for pee pee and a quarter for poop) and that was a big deal. At daycare they do skittles...so that has worked also.
    Last edited by BabbyO; 03-14-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast