Default Anyone have success with elimation communication?

I am reading Mayim Bialik's (aka Blossom) new book about attachment parenting and while I disagree with a lot of what she's written her chapter and experience with EC fascinates me. Anyone try this successfully? Please tell me about it and recommend any books that helped you. Or try it and not recommend it? I am pregnant and her experience has me interested in exploring this.

Thank you!

I am also very interested in this. I just don't want to create a stressful situation for me or for the baby. But still very interested!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

For me I work full time outside the home so it isn't really an option for us, however I am a firm believer that babies are babies and I really don't want to rush them from not being babies and IMHO EC kind of does this. If I were a SAHM then I'd probably do it more, but really again I don't see the rush and I won't even start noticing signs or introducing the potty until DD2 is at least 2 yrs. old.

My grandma did this years ago in 1951 when my dad was a baby because it was common practice to have kids potty trained by the time they were 12 months to 18 months old. I am guessing because most people used diaper service back then and it was expensive so the earlier the kids were out of diapers the better. She did it successfully with my dad but she said it was a royal PITA. She didn't do it with my uncle who was born in 1955.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    For me I work full time outside the home so it isn't really an option for us, however I am a firm believer that babies are babies and I really don't want to rush them from not being babies and IMHO EC kind of does this. If I were a SAHM then I'd probably do it more, but really again I don't see the rush and I won't even start noticing signs or introducing the potty until DD2 is at least 2 yrs. old.

My grandma did this years ago in 1951 when my dad was a baby because it was common practice to have kids potty trained by the time they were 12 months to 18 months old. I am guessing because most people used diaper service back then and it was expensive so the earlier the kids were out of diapers the better. She did it successfully with my dad but she said it was a royal PITA. She didn't do it with my uncle who was born in 1955.
    That seems more like early potty training rather than what the goals of EC are. Traditional cultures have done this for years.

Even with diapering you have communicated to the baby this is how we go "potty". You are then just training the child to stop going in diapers to going in a toilet.

OP - this site has more info

http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/?&MMN_position=1:1

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

We practiced EC on and off with DS since he was about 10 weeks old. My mom started it because that's what people used to do where I come from Eastern Europe when I was little and since there were no disposable diapers parents potty trained kids by 12-18 months. We did use disposable diapers until 12.5-13 months and then cloth for a few more months, and just put DS on a Bjorn potty (or held above a sink, often with water running, when he was really little) as soon as he woke up in the morning or after a nap plus at regular intervals throughout the day or when DS showed signs of needing to go. It was not particularly different but we were not religious about it.

I think we were successful. DS was fully poopy trained by 12 months and had at the most 1 poopy diaper for months before then. And fully trained and not wearing diapers by 14.5 months during the day and 16.5 months at night. I found EC forum on mothering.com really useful and wish I discovered it earlier.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I don't have time to write much now, but we used it twice, in very different situations, with Ds1 and Ds2. We also got our friends involved and they've done it with 2 kids also.

It worked great! Dh sings the praises of EC to anyone who will stop and listen.

Ds3 is only 6 weeks old but I'm sure we'll do it again.

I didn't read any books before Ds1, I wasn't really committed, I just tried it on a whim. Then it worked so well, we just stuck with it. Mostly, I read some on the EC board at mothering.com. They had great info/support.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    That seems more like early potty training rather than what the goals of EC are. Traditional cultures have done this for years.

Even with diapering you have communicated to the baby this is how we go "potty". You are then just training the child to stop going in diapers to going in a toilet.

OP - this site has more info

http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/?&MMN_position=1:1
    I agree. I think EC is different from early potty training. People who EC also aren't really pressuring a child in the way that might happen early potty training. EC is very focused on being in tune with the baby's cues, offering the potty as a respectful option, etc. eta: I also think most people who EC aren't necessarily doing it to create less work for themselves. It involves really being in tune with cues, being willing and able to get baby to a place to go, etc. IMO the philosophy underlying it is different than forcing early potty training.
    Last edited by brittone2; 03-08-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We EC DS (1.5 years old now)

I did a modified version from when he was able to sit up on his own. I just offered him the potty and he was fully "trained" for poop in a month or so. He mostly pees in the potty now as well, except if I don't offer the potty to him for a couple of hours. I still put diapers on him when we go out.

Some more responses here
    http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=409658

----------------------------------------------------------------