Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to look pulled together in the summer?

Thanks to all the wonderful BBB fashionistas, I got my act (somewhat) together this fall/winter work wardrobe. I did more daring mix and match, wore shoes other than black or brown, and found some cute chunkier/longer necklaces to accessorize with. I no longer feel frumpy. Well, spring and summer are on the horizon and I need more advice. I'm on vacation for the months of June and July. I primarily hang out at home with the kiddos and dog. We may venture to the playground, zoo, etc but nothing fancy. My usual summer attire is shorts (maybe a skort) with birks and tshirts. What can I do to look pulled together? IMO I just can't see wearing too much jewelry (if at all) or scarves when it's hot and humid. If I'm not leaving the house I can't accessorize with a purse or wristlet and even if I am out and about I'm just not a "change your purse with your outfit" kind of gal.

I see all these outfits pinned on Pinterest and what makes them look great is the purse and big chunky colorful jewelry and matching nail polish. Just doesn't seem practical to me.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I don't have much to contribute, though I was going to say jewelry and nail polish. You could probably get some cute wispy (not heavy) dangly earrings and a very thin/ fine/ light necklace and bracelet. I have one very thin silver chain with a silver starfish in the middle, a gold chain with a gold flip flop- both are summery and are short enough that they go well with v-necked s/s shirts and tank tops. Also many of us on the BBB have mommy necklaces that are delicate and go well with light summer outfits.

Other than changing out your finger and toenail polish (though I'm more of a French manicure-fingernail-type girl), I'm not sure what to suggest and will be watching this thread for more ideas! I'm also finding it especially hard, as a SAHM mom of two little ones (1 and 3) to look put-together and fashionable, especially on a budget. I tried the skirt thing last year (the popular ON jersey ones), but didn't really feel the love, as skirts are hard to pull off when running after toddlers and worrying about a breeze turning me into Marilyn Monroe.

How about a cute new purse/ diaper bag/ beach bag? Something cheery and lightweight?

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with OBG. Earrings, a necklace, bracelet, maybe a scarf if it's not to hot, a nice bag and shoes can really pull together a very plain and simple outfit. I've discovered how fun it is to buy costume jewelry. JC Penny's jewelry is sooo cheap now. They have switched to the new sale guideline (mark down 1st and 3rd Friday) and each time I gleefully go shopping at their jewelry display. I get items for only $2-$3 each, items that are normally $15, $20, $24! I've found that accessories really make the outfit, esp as someone who doesn't wear a lot of patterned tops.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Comfy knee length skirt, clean well fitted tshirt, chunky necklace, leather sandals that aren't birks or flip flops. Say no to keens, tevas, crocs for anythîng outside of the house

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Dresses, cute earrings/necklace with pretty sandals! They are so easy to find at good prices...anywhere from TJMaxx to gasp...Sears. I love summer and I love dresses. Please remind me why I live in the Midwest.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I change up my shoes a lot in the summer and keep my shorts and tops simple and basic.........but I am, by no means, a fashionista!!!

I like the Reef sandal brand because they are super comfortable and they have a ton of sandal styles to choose from (leather, nylon w/patterns, flip flops or gladiator styles...) and I can usually get them on sale somehwere.
    I'll also wear flats too.

I don't wear too much jewelry with a 19 month old, but I will change my earings and necklaces.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I love neutral colors for summer (especially linen) - all white, tan, gray or brown outifts. Then add great colorful sandals, an awesome bag, great sunglasses and a pretty necklace. Done.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I feel like dresses make you look more pulled together, as opposed to shorts and t's. So that is what I tried to do a bit more last year - get more casual dresses.
    That being said, I feel like it's hard for me to find dresses that look right on my body type.
    DD
    DS

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For me, it is all about a-line skirts, nice fitted tees (maybe decorated in some way) and cute comfortable sandals. Throw on a bit of jewelry or maybe a lightweight scarf and I call it good. I don't change my purse out that often but I do have a few I like to use. I don't carry much in my purse though so it only takes a moment. If I don't wear a skirt, I will wear capri pants if it isn't too hot.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I agree with the accessories/cute shoes idea. Also, wear t-shirts that have a little style to them. Either an unexpected color, or pattern, or embellishment. And make sure they fit. I think ill-fitting blah t-shirts just say "I don't care". (I wear lots of tees in summer, but I like to think they're cute. )

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I love neutral colors for summer
    Really, just summer? But you do look awesome in that palette.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast