Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Has anyone here used any type of music therapy with their child?

We are on a waiting list for Greenbean to start Therapeutic Listening. The wait could be a year or longer. In the meantime, his therapist recommended I look into a program that is being offered in town using music to help children with many different disorders. I am just trying to collect as much info as I can about this type of therapy.

Does anyone here have any experience with it? Thoughts?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Why is there such a long wait for theraputic listening? The OT we used had all of the CDs and just loaned them out to us. If there had been a big delay, I would have considered purchasing the CDs (although they are pricey).

DS1 had a music therapist come in weekly to his ECDD classroom. I think it did help him some with regulation. We had friends who did private music therapy and felt it helped, but nothing major.

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons View Post
    Why is there such a long wait for theraputic listening? The OT we used had all of the CDs and just loaned them out to us. If there had been a big delay, I would have considered purchasing the CDs (although they are pricey).
    I never even thought about buying them. I didn't know it was an option. The reason that the wait is so long is because there is only one therapist in town who offers this. Do you know the name of the discs/therapist and where I can look into purchasing them?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 03-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the program we used, but I think there are only a couple.

Our OT gave us the CDs one-by-one, so I'm not sure if there was a specific order that is followed or if it is individualized based on the child's needs. My son listened to them at home for 20 mins each day.

I'm hoping cchavez sees this since I think she has experience and could give you some advice.

I do think this is something some parents do on their own, after going through an evaluation.

ETA: I'm sorry the details are so fuzzy for me; it's been almost five years. Now that I am thinking of it, I think we had two listening sessions per day. He would color or swing while listening. There was something about having him engage in an activity while listening....
    Last edited by mytwosons; 03-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.

We did music therapy very briefly. The therapist was sweet but young and new and had no idea how to get ds to cooperate. I could see how it would be useful for teaching communication skills (listening carefully, turn taking, etc) with a more skillful therapist. That was the skill set we were targeting. I'm not familiar with other issues it might be used to address.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I'm not familiar with other issues it might be used to address.

Catherine
    Our therapist thought it might be used to help Greenbean become more comfortable with the aspects of noises that he is most sensitive too. He becomes more irritated with certain pitches and noises in our house, it seems and we thought maybe music could be used to help him deal with that.

The music therapist our therapist recommended has been very successful helping some children with other disorders. I can't remember the specific disorders now, but I can go through our paperwork at home and post them here, if they might help someone.

Lisa, my son was very sensitive to noise as well. I do think the therapeutic listening helped.

For us, the other things that helped with the sound sensitivity were increased magnesium and treating a yeast overgrowth in his gut.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You purchase them from Vital Sounds. You also have to purchase the special headphones--Sennheiser.com--HD500A are the ones we were told to get. For Vital Sounds (to get the modulated CD's--which are the ones used for therapeutic listening). www.vitalsounds.com. You can't just call and purchase the CD's though. You will need your OT's code (that they are certified to do the TL program). With that code you can order the CD's.

Hope this helps.

DS did the program for a little over a year. It worked wonders. However, the OT told us which CD's to use, how long to use them and tweaked the program for issues DS was having.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons View Post
    Lisa, my son was very sensitive to noise as well. I do think the therapeutic listening helped.

For us, the other things that helped with the sound sensitivity were increased magnesium and treating a yeast overgrowth in his gut.
    Did your son have any problems with constipation? Greenbean has had ongoing problems with constipation since he started his very first solid foods (rice cereal). I wonder if that ties into the sensitiviitez at all?

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    You purchase them from Vital Sounds. You also have to purchase the special headphones--Sennheiser.com--HD500A are the ones we were told to get. For Vital Sounds (to get the modulated CD's--which are the ones used for therapeutic listening). www.vitalsounds.com. You can't just call and purchase the CD's though. You will need your OT's code (that they are certified to do the TL program). With that code you can order the CD's.

Hope this helps.

DS did the program for a little over a year. It worked wonders. However, the OT told us which CD's to use, how long to use them and tweaked the program for issues DS was having.
    Thank you so much for this information. I'm just astounded that neither our child psychologist NOR the OT mentioned that these could be purchased! Particularly when they were recommending that I drive 3 hours away to the nearest clinic for these therapy sessions! Thank goodness I asked you smart moms. I might even get insurance to cover some of the cost. I'll look into that too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast