Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Nutiva Coconut Oil

Does anyone use nutiva coconut oil? I bought some and want to use it as a moisturizer and as a liquid to add to our dog's food for his skin issues but am not sure how to use it. Do I melt it on the stove first???
    Thank you in advance!

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've never used that brand but whenever I've given coconut oil to my dog I just throw a spoonful in with their food.

Oh yes that's an awesome brand! Very high quality.
    If it is not being applied to something at least body temperature, then you do need to melt it. It will melt right in to your skin though. It melts super quick if you microwave it (if you aren't opposed to the microwave). About 10 seconds is enough I think.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Now that the weather is warming up you may find it is liquidy on its own, or it will be shortly, depending on the temp you keep your house. It melts right around the upper end of room temp, so in the winter it tends to be solid and in the summer it is softer or a liquid. It will rub into your skin pretty well unless your house is really cold. You can probably just warm it in your hands for use on your body this time of the year.

We use Nutiva.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use it as a cloth diaper safe cream. It is solid until you put it on skin, when it melts down quickly. DD loves it. She says, "you can smell my cream. It smells yummy, but don't eat it! It goes on my BUTT!"

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

we use it as a hand cream, to cook with and for the dogs but not that brand. A little goes a LONG way so when you first start giving it to the dog, start w/ 1/8 - 1/4 tsp and go up slowly till a 1 tsp.

I've never warmed it up prior to use. I keep a spoon in the jar and just scoop some out. I shake it off onto my hand and rub it in. it disolves very quickly even in the winter when my house is ~60 or less.