mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need advice for RF large toddler

I need some advice regarding my DS and his car seat.

DS is large for his age. 36 inches and 32 lbs at 18 months. I suspect he may be nearing the height limit of the Marathon 70 for RF because most of his height is in his torso. I plan to verify where the top of his head is this weekend when I have time to get him into it. He was 30 lbs at his 15 month checkup, so his weight is still slowly gaining. I'm not sure if he'll keep that pace or not, he's very active and has slimmed down, but is still very solid. DD1 is like this too,she looks thin but weights a lot more than you think she would just by looking at her.

If he's too tall for RF, is he also too tall for it FF? Or does it change because they are more upright when FF?

I was hoping he could RF until at least two (closer to three would be even better, I had no plans to go beyond 3 for RF). Would you recommend getting a Radian to keep him RF longer? I still need a 3-across situation (DD1 in nothing or LBB, DD2 in Parkway SGL) in both DH's car and mine.

My issues with Radian (I swore I'd never buy another one):
    -I had a Radian 65 for DD2 and didn't really like it all that much (needed it for 3-across). It was SO hard to install compared to the Marathon.
    -the whole mighty-tite and then the latch debacle leaves a really sour taste in my mouth with SK/Diono.
    -I'm not sure it would fit in our cars RF. I only used the 65 FF.

I don't think there is another taller seat that would suit a 3-across situation and two new cars is out of the question, LOL.

I need help planning what to do if it turns out he is too tall?
    Last edited by mom2khj; 03-22-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Make sure you're measuring to see if he's outgrown correctly - picture tutorial. My toddler is similarly huge & long torsoed and still has a few inches in the marathon 70. Also, if you sit the seat the allowed 30 degrees upright, they often gain a bit of room from slumping down a bit.

Ff'ing is outgrown when shoulders are above harness slots or top of the ears is over the top of the shell (or weight, of course) so he should definitely have room ff'ing.

As for 3 across, if the marathon is working for that now, I imagine quite a few other seats would as well since the marathon is quite wide! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another seat if you could find one that works but I'm a rf'er until well past 3, at least in the primary car.

I really like our radians (as does my toddler - he's actually in a radian now because he kept trying to sit in DS1's seat) but I understand why people don't. The angle adjuster makes a huge difference on front to back room in our car, so it would probably fit with that. There's also the clek foonf coming out this summer which is supposed to be about the same width as the radian but it's ridiculously expensive - well over $400.

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, that does help. I saw that tutorial last week and that's why I plan to check him. I know previously I was probably looking straight on and thinking he looked to tall, so I thought I'd dot he measurement right to know exactly where he falls. Crossing my fingers that I've been worrying about nothing!!!
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)