Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ak worth a whole day?

We are going for a shortish trip for our tenth wedding anniversary with my kids, mom, and possibly my sister. We will have three full days, one nearly full day (day of arrival- expecting an early bedtime and have early dinner reservations), and one half day.

We are not buying park hopper tickets.

Is it worth it, in your opinion, to plan an entire day for the AK?
    I see a few attractions the my DDs will be interested in but am not sure if my DS will be able to enjoy them (he may miss some height restrictions, I am going to measure him tomorrow).
    Also, we have family passes to the Bronx Zoo and go fairly often. I am not sure if I want to spend a vacation day doing things similar to things they could do at home.

Any input is much appreciated!
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

We like ak. The safari is awesome & expedition everest is my dd favorite ride (44"). We usually do tidied house buffet @ 8 am then stay until about 2 or 3. We usually pair it with an early dinner somewhere. The lion king & finding nemo shows are great. My kids love the dig site playground.

I would do a half day there. My littles love rafikis train to the conservation statiOn
    Mama to 3

We LOVED it!!!! We just got back today. Our girls are 6 and 8 and they rated AK as #2 out of the 4 parks. We could have easily done a second day there.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

we loved it there with 2.5 yo dd at the time. i think we could have easily spent more time there if it werent for the perfectly timed thunderstorms for the right before the 3 pm parade (we were planning to stay until 4-430p to beat the exiting crowds and make our dinner res). i wished it wasnt so far of a bus ride from the contempory.
    DD 2/09 - My sweet loving Spunky/Spirited child

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We really like AK too. We have gone 3x in the past 6 years or so - once without kids, once with a 17 month old and this past time with a 3 year old and 17 month old, and we have enjoyed it all 3 times.

We all like the Safari a lot as well as the Lion King show. My kids saw a lot of characters there too and just enjoyed walking around, checking out the surroundings.

We did what PP mentioned - paired it with an early dinner. We got there when it opened, stayed til 2ish, swam a little at the hotel and then had dinner. It was a really fun, nice, low key day that we all enjoyed!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes, IMo. It closes earlier than,
    Mk, so make that your shorter day if you do it. We really liked it and spent one non park hopper day there based on recommendations here.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Animal Kingdom was DS's favorite park when we went last year (he was 2). We went back for a second day. DS loved the Safari and also liked meeting the characters there better than at the other parks.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Good to hear there is some love for AK! We're planning a 3 day trip too & I thought we'd do MK two days, AK one day. I debated Epcot vs AK, but given my DD's interests (she loves animals) I think she'll have more fun there. Definitely planning to hit the Lion King show- we watched the video clip on the Disney site and DD was enthralled.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We went yesterday and had a wonderful day. DD is 9 so could go on everything, loved Expedition Everest, even I liked it and I'm wimpy! It was fabulous and I would go back in a heartbeat. i guess you might think it's similar to a zoo, but not really as there are shows. It rained all day and we got very wet even with ponchos on, but it was till great.....no waits made up for the rain.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We love AK too! We had a magical experience where a strolling musician made up a song about my kids that they loved. So fun! I think the vibe is just more relaxed. There is a lot to do, so much that despite going 3 times there are still areas we've never made it to. My kids could spend hours in the Boneyard play area alone. Have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast