Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also wanna chime in one more time on life not being worth it at 1200 calories. I think 1200 is a very low number, and you need to really think about whether you need that. I need that. I need to lose alot of weight IMO. If you need to lose 50 or 70, then maybe. If you're just trying to drop 30 lbs or less, then I really ahve to agree that life is doable at 1400, ESPECIALLY if you're moving. I don't move much. I hate moving. I like sitting on my ass. so, I have more work to do, and I need the 1200. But if you think you're exercxising and think you can do it on 1400, then I wanna encourage that, too.

BUT. That extra 200 cal should not be carbs. they should be proteins and green vegetables, maybe an extra serving of fruit. Just more food for thought (heh heh)
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is this per day? 1200 per day?

I am reeling in shock that anyone can manage that. I am confident there are many meals where I consumer 1200 right then and there!!

I feel like I am always the debbie downer of dieting threads . . . .but doesn't 1200 per day put your body into starvation/cling to your fat mode? Could you consider higher calories and lower carbs (not atkins but a reasonable high protein diet including lean proteins like tofu, fish, chix, quinoa?).

Anyway, take all of this with a grain of no-calorie salt as I have never attempted a diet or calorie-counting. I don't have that kind of discipline!

Good luck!
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Great ideas. I don't count cals, but try to focus on higher protein and lower carbs, lots of veggies and liquids.

ITA with pp's about averaging instead of focusing on one day.
    I like Hungry Girl's ideas. I need to sign up for her emails.

One thing I learned from her is miracle noodles, which have almost no cals (pure fiber). They're kind of rubbery, but I stirfry them with veggies and tofu, and get a lot of food for very little cals (about 1 tbs of oil and soy sauce). I allow myself as many veggies as I can eat, LOL. Great filler.

Love Fairy's ideas. Love, love egg whites. I use egg beaters, very filling. I like to cook some up and put 2 slices of thin deli ham, a little shredded cheese, a ton of arugula, and stuff it in a small corn tortilla from TJ's. I think the ham has like 20 cals a slice, and the tortillas are only 60-80 a slice. I have 2.

Love skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. I roll them in crushed nuts. Much better than full fat ice cream at a shop.

I also have a can of Progesso soup (120-160) cals for the whole can, dump in some frozen veggies and some raviolo or tortellini. That's a pretty filling meal under 400 cals.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    Is this per day? 1200 per day?

I am reeling in shock that anyone can manage that. I am confident there are many meals where I consumer 1200 right then and there!!

I feel like I am always the debbie downer of dieting threads . . . .but doesn't 1200 per day put your body into starvation/cling to your fat mode? Could you consider higher calories and lower carbs (not atkins but a reasonable high protein diet including lean proteins like tofu, fish, chix, quinoa?).

Anyway, take all of this with a grain of no-calorie salt as I have never attempted a diet or calorie-counting. I don't have that kind of discipline!

Good luck!
    Well...I put in my goal weight and how many pounds I wanted to loose a week and My Fitness Pal came up with 1200 calories. I am active so I could probably up it 200 calories but I have noticed (since weighing my food and paying attention to serving sizes) that I was eating 3-4 servings at a time thinking it was one. It was crazy. One day I came in under my 1200 calories and MFP gave me a warning about being under 1200..not good/starvation mode, etc. It wasn't on purpose that I skipped those extra calories but it was a good reminder.
    I do eat a lot of protien and fresh fruit. I have to up my veggies and watch my sugar intake. I like a glass of wine a few days a week, too. Honestly since loosing these 5 pounds I feel so good I feel driven to loose the last 10. Thanks for your post though. I appreciate your thoughtfullness.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

1,200 is definitely hard! That's why I try to burn around 500 cals a day. I need to be able to splurge at night! Congrats on the weight loss!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just wanted to put in my $.02. I've been counting calories off and on since college and have learned a few things. First, the bigger you are, the more calories your body needs to consume just to keep it running. The smaller you are, the fewer calories you need to consume. So, the theory that someone who is obese needs to consume fewer calories than someone who is just slightly overweight, really doesn't hold true. And it can lead to frustration and binging over time. Someone who is obese and starts dieting will probably need to eat more calories in the beginning and then start to reduce their daily calorie intake as they lose weight if they want to continue to lose weight.

The best way to lose weight by counting calories is to spend a couple weeks just eating normally and keeping track of your calories. Then find out the average amount of calories you ate. That is probably what your body needs to keep it running. Once you know that number, lower it by a hundred or 150 calories. Between meals you want to feel slightly hungry but not so much that you are ravenous. You want to feel hungry but not so much that you can't ignore it. If you allow yourself to get so hungry that you just can't stop thinking of food, you will binge. What you dont' want is to get in a cycle of eating fewer calories one day because you pigged out the night before. That's just not healthy. And it could lead to binging and purging.

The other thing you really need to do is keep a running average of daily calories consumed in the last 7 days. The truth is, if you stay below your calorie limit all week but then on the weekend have a piece of birthday cake, your weekly average shouldnt really change that much. Everyone knows that one piece of cake isn't going to ruin your diet. What will ruin a diet and put weight on is by consistently eating more than your body can use. I find that when I only look at that day's calorie totals and it's over by a hundred calories, I get frustrated and start feeling like a failure. But if I add that day's calories into the weekly average, I don't feel bad at all because an occasional splurge wont really change the average much (unless you are doing it several days per week).

I've lost over 25lbs three different times in the last 20 years- once after college and then after my first 2 babies. I did it by only lowering my calories a little bit, taking it slowly and exercising. Losing it slowly is the only way to make sure you don't gain it back. I found that after a few months, you start to recognize after meals when your stomach is satiated and you've eaten the right size meal. At that point, you really don't even need to count calories anymore. You get used to eating the amount your body needs to function because you've been eating just under that amount for months. After a few months of counting calories, you also start to recognize when you've put too much food on your plate because after a few months you get used to reduced portion sizes. And you get used to eating healthier and I noticed my tastes changed. I didnt' crave the same things I did before I started counting calories.

Anyway, that has been my experience. I started counting calories about a month ago and I've lost 8 pounds. I'm a little hungry right now but it's not so bad that I can't ignore it. I really think that's key. I'm hoping to lose 20 lbs by October, slowly but surely.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2