Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default West Coast couples vacation

DH and I try to take a one week adults only vacay every year. This year, we need to stick closer to home, spend less $. So I am looking for a place to go between October and beginning of November in the western half of the US. We have been to: Vancouver, Santa Fe, Vegas, Durango, Phoenix, Tucson, Seattle, San Fran, San Diego, Sonoma Valley wine region. DH does not want to go to Portland (I would!) We do like to go to cities, we like good restaurants, are not beach people per se, and don't want to do another trip devoted solely to wine tasting. We do like hiking, seeing natural stuff, seeing museums, historical places etc.

I am thinking maybe Denver (don't know if DH would be ok with that), San Antonio (?), MOnterey--or other CA coast. I don't want to do mountains because it could get cold but 60 degree temps are fine.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by StantonHyde; 03-19-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think Denver is a great idea.

I love San Fran and would go back again. I've been there twice already.

What about Utah? There are a couple National Parks very close to each other.

Yellowstone is another idea. You don't have to camp there--they have a nice lodge.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Some places we love:

Avila Beach, CA (relaxation!, food, kayaking, trails, biking, ...)
    Monterey, CA (going there this summer...again - lots to do)
    Denver, CO (there IS a lot to do there, but it's all spread out...lots of driving)
    Mayan Riviera, Mexico (often cheaper for our family than a week at DLand - lots to do)

Oh, and talk him into Portland!

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Santa Barbara-
    You could stay for a few days and even do a 1-day wine tasting in Los Olivos.
    I was just there with my family a few weeks ago and we had a really good, mellow time- I was thinking of writing up one of those post-Disney reviews even!
    DD
    DS

I like the CA recs. We live in Utah and have been to all of the parks many times over, same for Yellowstone. I am actually toying with the idea of Yosemite, but we could do that as a family vacay. Keep the ideas coming
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Actually, our favorite place to stay in Monterey is Pacific Grove...the little town next door. We LOVE Andril Fireplace Cottages. It's a great bouncing off spot for all sorts of activities from whale watching to hiking the coastline to the Monterey Bay Aquarium...and then there's the clam chowder at some amazing little restaurants. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by geochick View Post
    Actually, our favorite place to stay in Monterey is Pacific Grove...the little town next door. We LOVE Andril Fireplace Cottages. It's a great bouncing off spot for all sorts of activities from whale watching to hiking the coastline to the Monterey Bay Aquarium...and then there's the clam chowder at some amazing little restaurants. Yum.
    That does sound good. i would love to go whale watching--but not sure they are around in the fall???? The aquarium would be fun and the fresh seafood is a plus. Do you fly into San Fran from SLC?

(smilies by DD)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

San Jose, Oakland, or San Fran...depending on if we must have a direct, and price. There USED to be a direct to Monterey, but they don't do that anymore. Bummer. You can fly to Monterey, but you have to connect.

End of Sept/Beginning of October = Gorgeous on the central coast. When I was more involved in the wedding biz, we used to call it 'the new june'. Usually little to no fog on the coast and beautiful warm weather. And with the exception of Columbus day weekend, you largely have it to yourself - Have you been to Big Sur? A week might be a long time there, but it's a perfect 2 or 3 day adventure from Monterey/Carmel, or part of a road trip down to Santa Barbara. Yosemite is also beautiful that time of year, although it will be colder.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    End of Sept/Beginning of October = Gorgeous on the central coast. When I was more involved in the wedding biz, we used to call it 'the new june'. Usually little to no fog on the coast and beautiful warm weather. And with the exception of Columbus day weekend, you largely have it to yourself - Have you been to Big Sur? A week might be a long time there, but it's a perfect 2 or 3 day adventure from Monterey/Carmel, or part of a road trip down to Santa Barbara. Yosemite is also beautiful that time of year, although it will be colder.
    Carmel would be my second choice after Santa Barbara. DH and I have gone to the Authors and Ideas Festival two years in a row there and it's been lovely.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast