knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default family vacation within 3-4 hours of DC

We want to go on a vacation with my in laws this summer, somewhere with a four hour drive of DC/Baltimore. Last year, we went to Lancaster PA and it was great.... my kids loved the farms, the train stuff, buggy rides, etc...

My kids are not interested in roller coasters, bumper cars, that sort of thing....we're also not really interested in a beach type vacation... they can sit on the beach for 1/2 hour, then get bored

Are there any other vacation destinations in the mid-atlantic region that are not beach or amusement park based for us to consider?
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We enjoy Deep Creek, MD. Rent a house to hang out, hike during the day, go to the nature center for cool demonstrations and activities, mini golf, rent a canoe (or fancier boat) and tool around, relax in the hot tub at night. It may be too much beach style vacation but it's pretty fun.

Williamsburg gets recommended.

Williamsburg seems like an obvious choice. We'll take DDs when they're older. Or Philly, so much history and tons to do. West Virginia has some gorgeous historic railroads from what I understand. I think WV is very pretty.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

What about the Shanendoah region. The cave tours are supposed to be really nice.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    What about the Shanendoah region. The cave tours are supposed to be really nice.

Luray cavern is an awesome tour. Not sure how far natural bridge is from but it is also off the interstate and would be a good activity to loop in

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Charlottesville, VA area. Lots of history (Monticello, Ash Lawn, UVa, etc), mountains nearby, great city/county parks, walkable downtown. Easy drive to Luray Caverns, Grand Caverns, Skyline Drive/Shenandoah Nat'l Park. Beer and wine tasting for the grownups with picturesque settings where the kids can run around (Blue Mountain, King Family, Veritas, Devil's Backbone, and others). Not far from Lexington, VA which is a cute town and also has the Safari Park, which is a hoot.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

K-Bear is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Seven Springs or Nemacolin? Massanutten?