Default Should I cut him some slack?

My DH has been sick since last Sunday. At first general cold symptoms, but then started running a fever. I finally convinced him to go to the dr. on Thursday (actually a coworker did, he didn't listen to me the 15 times I told him to go). He had an ear infection, but lungs were clear. They gave him anibiotics, which he started taking Thursday night. His fever broke, but he's still congested, coughing, tired, and just not 100%. Now in my world, I'm back to 100% parenting within 24 hours of fever breaking (if i get a break at all) as are many of the folks on this board He has literally done NOTHING since last Sunday (correction, he went to work through 1/2 day Thurs). He is short tempered and just a real pill to be around. He actually apologized tonight, and said he thinks it must be the antibiotics zapping his energy.
    So my question (finally) is this - is that possible with antibiotics? Might he have more than just an ear infection? Is he just being a baby? (this is the one that I concluded by this afternoon right before he apologized.) I'll cut him some slack if you wise Mamas say it's possible, but otherwise, I'm at the point of telling him to suck it up or go back to the dr.!!

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

it is possible he could have something more.....

i can only speak for how my DH acts when he has a cold....i would say suck it up and get over it. DH is worse then my 3.5 year old. HE IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!

i would hint maybe he should make an appt for tuesday morning, in case he isn't feeling better. remind him he could always cancel if he wakes up feeling better.

Hmm. Well, my DH also tends to be a bit dramatic (IMO) when he's ill, but honestly I don't think there's much to be gained by telling him to suck it up. Especially if he's already irritable, I think you're likely to get a more helpful response from him if you coddle him just a bit. Even relatively minor illnesses are no fun, and ear infections can be really painful (I know! My eardrum burst two summers ago and the pain for the two days before it burst was excruciating!). It's also true that your body can feel really exhausted when fighting off an infection. I don't really know that the antibiotics make you feel zapped, but certainly you can feel drained if your immune system is working overtime. All this to say I'm sorry your DH may be milking this for all it's worth, but at least he apologized for being cranky. Maybe next time he'll return the favor if you treat him with sympathy, but even if he doesn't, you'll probably only make things worse by griping at him. Hope he feels better soon (and you do too)!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

antibiotics suck the life out of me. Without a doubt, i feel exhausted when on them. That being said, even when i am sick, i cant be sick.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by boilermakermom View Post
    i would hint maybe he should make an appt for tuesday morning, in case he isn't feeling better. remind him he could always cancel if he wakes up feeling better.
    Love this idea!! I will suggest that to him. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    antibiotics suck the life out of me. Without a doubt, i feel exhausted when on them. That being said, even when i am sick, i cant be sick.
    Giantbear - based on your other posts, you are a rock star! I would cut you some slack without a second thought

Thanks all! He's feeling a bit better this morning and is at work. Has a huge meeting where he's presenting all day tomorrow, so hopefully he won't pass out. I'm going to recommend he make an appt for Wednesday and play it by ear.