Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

OP, the Swan is kind of quasi on property. So you can't take magical express, no dining plan (DDP), no delivery of your shopping purchases to your resort (I will miss that at Bonnet Creek!)

I do agree that disboards are helpful, but it's kind of a graduate level Disney board. I'm a Disneyphile, but I can see why it's overwhelming for newbies...EMH, DVC, MMNSSHP, DDP, MK, AK, DTD...WTF?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you for the replies. This board is the only reason I "agreed" to plan the trip. I knew I could get good answers here!
    I am getting a little lost again. What is an ADR? And what are dining plans? I know about free dining - it is in last week of Aug and we are trying to avoid it since I've heard it gets too crowded! We are vegetarians with nut allergies so I was planning on bringing snacks/food because I know it is allowed. Is Disney accommodating for our dietary restrictions??
    And the magical express - is that the boat or train into the parks?

Oh, I didn't know we had to pay for parking at the Swan. Yikes, have to watch out for things like that. It adds up fast. We are planning to drive down so we will have the car anyway.

Thank you again for such detailed replies.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post

I do agree that disboards are helpful, but it's kind of a graduate level Disney board. I'm a Disneyphile, but I can see why it's overwhelming for newbies...EMH, DVC, MMNSSHP, DDP, MK, AK, DTD...WTF?

That is exactly why I avoid the Disboards! I swear we would have gone 2 years back but I got so overwhelmed there that I just put it off.

I hope it is worth all this angst I am going through to find the right deals and learn the lingo!!

Actually, do they have a list of abbreviations in the Disboards? I could print it out and try reading the Disboards - you know in my spare time
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Magical express is wdw transportation from the airport. If you are driving, then don't worry about it.

I would first get the unofficial guide (see gatorsmom 's recent thread) . Read it! Decide how long you want to stay and play around on the wdw site pricing options and looking at hotels. Lurk on the disboards. I am sure there is a list of abbreviations somewhere, but I can't look now.

Oh adrs are the Disney version of reservations (but a little different) .

I live here. I would never go to Disney in August. Not only is it hotter than Hades and crowded, it's also prime tropical storm/hurricane season. You have a high likelihood of daily thunderstorms. Late September is better, but October and November and January and February are the best!

If you want a kitchen, you need to look for villas on property. They are pricey. Otherwise, you could look at the Cabins in Fort Wilderness. At Bonnet Creek, I don't know if the Wyndham has a lazy river (I was recently looking at their site and couldn't find it), but the HILTON at Bonnet Creek definitely does (it's on the same property) and it is a lot of fun - I have been there for a day and they have a DJ, food, bar, etc.

I hear the new Sheraton on Apopka-Vineland Rd is very nice, and the are Residence Inns, etc. just off property. Locals love Champions Gate (an Omni Hotel).

Disney is VERY accommodating of food allergies and preferences. I would venture to say it is among the best. The chef will come out and talk to you at every Disney table service restaurant. You will be able to eat on property very easily. Do note that Dolphin and Swan are NOT owned by Disney, so those hotels are different. For instance, I know they have at least one restaurant there (Shula's) with no kids' menu.
    Allison
    DS 06/02
    DS 03/04
    DS 08/07
    DD 04/12

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

it's also prime tropical storm/hurricane season
    Honestly, this would be my primary concern. We tend to vacation in the third and fourth weeks of August, and more than once we have had our trip affected by a hurricane!

Yes, it is hot, but almost anywhere is hot in August. Some people are more heat tolerant than others, so that is a factor.

Also, I thought August was considered low crowd level since so many schools are back in session by then. It is listed as a Value Season on mousesavers.com
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

[QUOTE=egoldber;3463532
    Also, I thought August was considered low crowd level since so many schools are back in session by then. It is listed as a Value Season on mousesavers.com[/QUOTE]

yes me too. That's why I thought 1st week of August initially.
    We can only go during school vacation. Friends have a kid in the older grades and they do not want to miss school - makes sense.
    So most likely it will be the last week of June right after school gets over.

Good to know that DIsney is accommodating of food restrictions. Most places that cater to kids usually are. Like Rainforest Cafe and AG.

Wait - we need to make reservations for dining? Is it only to meet a character or for all sit down meals? How far in advance? Can we do it the day of - like any normal restaurant?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post

Also, I thought August was considered low crowd level since so many schools are back in session by then. It is listed as a Value Season on mousesavers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by anamika View Post
    yes me too. That's why I thought 1st week of August initially.
    Early August when OP was considering isn't low crowds according to Mousesavers:

Midsummer (June through early August). Expect it to be very busy and extremely hot, with heavy humidity. To maximize your experience, plan on hitting the parks first thing in the morning. After lunch, take an afternoon break, then return to the park in the late afternoon/early evening. 11:00 am to 4:00 pm is the hottest part of the day and ironically the most crowded, too.
    http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwfaq.html#busy

Wait - we need to make reservations for dining? Is it only to meet a character or for all sit down meals? How far in advance? Can we do it the day of - like any normal restaurant?
    For sit down meals you don't HAVE to make reservations, but you will likely have long waits at the popular restaurants if you take your chances as a walkup (just like any popular restaurant really). You can always do quick service though.

Also, Bonnet Creek definitely has a lazy river. Their site describes it as a 250ft lazy river with "interactive wading pool". I have no idea what an interactive wading pool is!
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Actually, do they have a list of abbreviations in the Disboards? I could print it out and try reading the Disboards - you know in my spare time
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I live in Florida and it is HOT in August and even June. We are doing a day trip this weekend because of the great weather. If you do it in August, be prepared for super humid and hot weather.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast