Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default B-Day Gift/Party WWYD

Didn't think I'd ever be posting one of these questions, but here goes!

DD is invited to a party for a boy in her class (the whole class-8 kids-were invited). The problem lies in that the party is also for an older sibling that we don't know. It's a 1st grader and a 4th grader (according to DD).

I bought a Target gift card for the boy in her class....and then realized that I should probably also get the same thing for the other boy....right? DD doesn't know the older boy as far as I know, so this feels awkward, but what is the right thing to do?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

In this situation (joint party for 2 siblings not close in age, not family friends, one is a classmate) - I think I would bring a gift only for the classmate of DD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Canna View Post
    In this situation (joint party for 2 siblings not close in age, not family friends, one is a classmate) - I think I would bring a gift only for the classmate of DD's.
    Thanks for doing a much better job of summing up my post than I did!

I just have no idea what the "norm" is here.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We always have joint parties for our kids (their birthdays are 6 days apart), and I hand out different invitations specifically because I would never want someone to bring a gift for the sibling they don't know. I vote one gift. They probably won't open gifts at the party anyway (I would think it would take too long for both kids to open gifts, etc.).

Kungjo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We've gone to joint parties before. We would only bring a birthday present for the person who invited us. One gift should be fine.
    Mom to two beautiful DDs

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ditto!

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Same here.

I always find those situations awkward. I've always bought two gifts.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No, I don't think you need a gift for the older silbing. I always have joint birthday parties for my kids just b/c their birthdays are close together and they enjoy the joint parties. I never tell people that its the other dc's party as well, as I would feel bad if they felt they needed to buy a gift for both children. Of course, some know already or find out and sometimes, if not too awkward for me, I actually make a point of telling them that they don't need to bring a gift for my other dc.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast