Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Would you bring a gift to a no-gift party if they gave one to your DC?

DS recently had a birthday party and one of the families who attended is having a birthday party for their child next week. They brought us a gift (ours was not a no-gift party). Should I bring a gift for them even though their invitation says "no gifts please"? I went to a birthday party for a different child recently (this child was invited but didn't attend our party), and did not bring a gift because it said "no gifts" but there were still plenty of gifts there so I felt kind of bad about that!

Should I bring a gift to reciprocate, or is it better to honor their wishes? I feel like everyone brings gifts anyways and then you look bad by coming empty handed. Did I mention I hate no gift parties just because of this reason?

ETA: I do bring cards (usually DD makes one) for no-gift parties.
    Last edited by goldenpig; 03-24-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Nope. I always follow the no gift rule even if they have given us a gift. I will bring a birthday card though and there is notging in the card. Don't feel bad as you followed the rules.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I would not bring a gift. When we say that in an invitation, we really mean that we don't want gifts.

Catherine

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No - follow their wishes! That they brought your DC a gift previously is irrelevant.

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you really feel uncomfortable, I have occasionally stuck a small ($5 or $10) gift certificate to a local ice cream shop in the card when I go to no-gift parties. I figure most no gift parties are because they don't want more "stuff" - so this way I'm not adding to their clutter.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nrp View Post

If you really feel uncomfortable, I have occasionally stuck a small ($5 or $10) gift certificate to a local ice cream shop in the card when I go to no-gift parties. I figure most no gift parties are because they don't want more "stuff" - so this way I'm not adding to their clutter.

Once I stuck in a gift card to a local bookstore, just because I wasn't quite comfortable not bringing a gift to this one particular party. However, I've become comfortable with no-gift parties since then...

Of course, all of my daughters' parties have been no-gifts, but most of our family friends/relative ignore this request. DD's Kinder friends largely respected it last year.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Don't bring a gift.

And phooey on them for breaking the rule with you.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nrp View Post

This is what we do, exactly I used to follow the no gift request, but was *always* the only one without a gift. I gave up.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Don't bring a gift.

And phooey on them for breaking the rule with you.
    Oh, no ours wasn't a no-gift party! Our kids love getting birthday gifts!

I just feel bad when we're the only one who follows the rules for these "no-gift" parties!
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh, no ours wasn't a no-gift party! Our kids love getting birthday gifts!
    Oh, I read too fast! Sorry! No baggie necessary. I had a yes-gift party for my DD today .
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast