oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Thanks, Amazon, for mind-boggling price increase

I know I'm not the only one to track items by keeping them in my Amazon cart. I know prices can change drastically, especially with third party sellers, but . . . really?

"Please note that the price of Julia Butterfly Hill (Gateway Greens) has increased from $21.62 to $999.00 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages."

Whoa. Good thing I have a pending request through our library system for that book for DD.
    Last edited by oneplustwo; 03-24-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Amazon pricing is a total mystery to me.

Catherine

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Like the seller thinks someone is going to buy at that ridiculous price? I see that all the time, esp for used books. Prices ranging from 3.99 to 999 (with free shipping at that price of course). Really?
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

$21 to $999!!!! That's unbelievable! I was just complaining that the jumperoo I put in my cart yesterday for $72 is now $88 this morning, but that seems like nothing now.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

I bought a small chair with ottoman for dd from Amazon and I went back to see how much it was after I ordered it. For the ottoman it went from $35.00 that I paid to $98.00 within 24 hours. The chair was $75.00 when I bought it to $298.00!

Crazy pricing.

~Melissa

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's the third party sellers who set their prices. Some of them are completely delusional and hoping they will stumble upon a sucker.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

I try to only buy from Amazon since I have prime but even then the prices are all over the place. Not as crazy as the 3rd party sellers thankfully.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

A lot of third party seller prices are set without human input. Some sellers have thousands of items. Their price-comparison trolling software bots get bad info somewhere and boom, weirdness. I'm pretty sure that seller doesn't think they'll get $21 for one copy of that book and $999 for their other copy.

It's clearly an error, and price is likely to go down to a more reasonable level.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It does sound like some weird computer bot pricing error, but it sure made me do a double-take to see the change in price. Just for fun, I went to my Amazon cart just now to see if the price had changed, and wouldn't you know it:

Please note that the price of Julia Butterfly Hill (Gateway Greens) has decreased from $999.00 to $21.26 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.
    Guess the glitch has been fixed. Now I just need a similar glitch in the opposite direction to snap up a deal!
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School