Default Which stroller (under $60) to buy for 20 mo old for travel?

Hi,
    I have read the recent thread started in Dec about strollers for travel and based on that, don't want to bring our BJCM. Our last stroller was wrecked during plane travel and they did reimburse us which allowed us to buy the BJCM but I don't want to chance it. I'd like an umbrella stroller with good shade, doesn't have to recline, my DH wants sturdy wheels (I said good luck for our price range!). I saw alot of folks liked the Britax Blink but I can't find it and actually saw it was recalled for safety. I also saw folks liking the Starck but that the harness was uncomfortable and I'm not crazy about the yellow but I could probably deal with it if it's what is the best. I know many like the Maclaren quest and triumph but they're out of our price range and I can't seem to see any on CL. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    FYI- we're traveling to Baltimore and doing a bit of walking in the Inner Harbor area where we're staying. My DH will mainly be using it (he's 5'10" so we don't need one for really tall people).

todzwife is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Honestly, there isn't much out there for $60. The First Years offers a couple, but I don't know how good they are.

ETA: I was in the same position and ended up buying a Graco literider for our Disney trip and we were really happy with it.
    Last edited by todzwife; 03-25-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    Shandelle
    Proud mom to Dallin 10/03 Maddie 1/06 Zoey 4/10 Sadie 7/13

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would rec the Starck, but also highly suggest you stalk CL or even check out eBay for nicer used strollers that are more in your price range. Just don't forget to check the shipping charges! Albee Baby sells on eBay and often unloads stuff for reasonable prices. I can't remember their ID, but I'm sure someone here knows. BabySurplus, maybe?
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Check out the Chicco Capri Ct0.6 Its slightly higher in price but you might be able to find it on sale (or cosignment). I bought mine used without the sunshade so I cant say how good it is but I love everything else about my cheapy. Its taller than most umbrellas and really light weight. Its a but nicer than most typical umbrellas it does recline *slightly* and it has a small basket and the wheels are larger and more like a travel system stroller than the cheapo umbrella.

You should be able to get your hands on any graco stroller on craigslist for @ $50 but you'd be stuck with a graco beast. The literider is supposed to be pretty good. I had a mosaic and liked it (its an umbrella too but its still a breast)

I have compared the first years strollers and I was not impressed compared to my capri

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by avalonmom View Post
    I saw alot of folks liked the Britax Blink but I can't find it and actually saw it was recalled for safety.
    The Britax recall was similar to the Maclaren recall and was for finger amputations where the stroller folds on the sides. They sent out little zippered covers for the folding mechanism. The cover isn't the most stylish thing in the world but it isn't a big deal.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10137.html

All that said it looks like they are harder to find for a reasonable price right now and seem to be running about twice what they were a couple months ago.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mac volos show up on ebay for ~$60 fairly frequently.

And if you're going to the Inner Harbour, definitely go to the Maryland Science Center - my kids absolutely love it. In addition to the regular exhibits they have a great hands-on kid room. I've heard Port Discovery is awesome too. Also, you can't use strollers inside the Aquarium.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Mac volos show up on ebay for ~$60 fairly frequently.

And if you're going to the Inner Harbour, definitely go to the Maryland Science Center - my kids absolutely love it. In addition to the regular exhibits they have a great hands-on kid room. I've heard Port Discovery is awesome too. Also, you can't use strollers inside the Aquarium.
    I would go with a volo

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a Chicco capri for travel and it has lasted through 2 kids and both (3.5 and 20 months) still seem comfortable in it. Looks like it is $64 at Walmart.