Default UppaBaby Vista 2012 or Bugaboo Cameleon?

We went to check out the Teutonia T-460 yesterday and while everything about it is absolutely phenomenal, the bulky fold is making us consider UppaBaby Vista 2012 or Bugaboo. I like the UppaBaby although the wide weel base does make me a little nervous. My hubby likes Bugaboo but I don't like that the hood doesn't have a peek-a-boo window and I also don't really like the bassinet... it's really long but too narrow. I think the suspension on the Bugaboo is great but UppaBaby just improved its suspension so I think they are close now. Anyway, any preferences for one vs. the other? Any other strollers that come with a bassinet and have great suspension that I should consider?

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I considered both for DS and I think they are both great options with a few differences, so it depends on personal preference. I was all for the Cam, but at the last minute got the Vista because it had the possibility of becoming a double (at the time we planned on having our kids closer together). I also liked the separate bassinet, we did have a phase of switching between it and the seat, and with the Cam I would've needed to buy an extra frame for that.

I adore my Vista, but I think I would've been just as happy with the Cam. The Vista has a better canopy and the seat sits higher, which I love and has an adjustable footrest (which I also wanted). The Cam has better steering and suspension (and back when I got mine had a fully upright position, which the Vista didn't and that was my biggest complaint, but now that's been fixed). I didn't use the peekaboo window much on the Vista since we used it parent-facing for a loooong time.

The Vista looks a lot bigger than the Cam but it's actually only half an inch wider and about a pound heavier. Oh, and DH hated the two-piece fold of the Cam, but I didn't, that's something to consider.

I think you can't go wrong with either one.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd definitely look at the icandy apple. You have to buy the bassinet separately but it's still cheaper than either the vista or cam. There's also the icandy peach, but that's more expensive.

But I agree, you can't really go wrong with either the vista or cam.

If you don't need a stroller right away, maybe also consider the Valco Spark coming out this Summer. It doesn't have a separate bassinet, instead the seat becomes the bassinet.

I've had an icandy apple (never used it outside, just pushed around the house and in the garage), vista, and cam.
    I still have the cam and none of the others. I did not love the 2 piece fold of the cam, and the seat was smaller than the vista. I also didn't like that you had to remove the bassinet from the frame to put on the seat. I did like the air tires.

The vista bassinet is huge and can be folded in one piece if the seat is facing forward.

The apple has an awesome push, but I didn't have the bassinet and it didn't take a chicco carseat, and was using the vista (with a piggy back) and I think they were too repetitive, however I think it's an awesome stroller and I kind of miss it

Personally I'd go with the vista... but I think any are good bets... I would buy a used cam in a heartbeat though. You can usually get one relatively cheap and they are built like tanks. Just make sure the brake works and there is no fading on the actual seat. You can replace the canopy and overlay cheaply and easily

You really can't go wrong with either. I am partial to the Vista because we have one and the separate bassinet is really a lifesaver IMO, and the fact that it's cheaper. But a lot of people prefer the tires and suspension of the Cam to that of the Vista.
    Mama to my sweet little girl - 12/2009
    ...and Baby #2 due early August 2012

mom3boys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OK so I've sort of had all 3, although I have the old Teutonia T-260 (with 3 tires) rather than the 460. I only used the Cam twice outside as I bought it to resell (sad to part with it, however!)

I think you need to think about how you will use it. I really feel like the Vista is the best for a new baby. I loved the bassinet but I only used it on the stroller for about 6 weeks (I used regular seat with Snugseat insert after that), but it was also DS3's bed that he slept in every night until he moved out of our room at about 4 mos--which would not have been possible with the Cam unless I bought another frame. The canopy is great. The huge basket is wonderful and if you think you will use that feature it is worth it. Since the seat is high you have your newborn "close to you".

The suspension and steering is loads better on the Cam and personally I felt the Teutonia had the best suspension of all. And even though the Vista is in actuality only a little wider than both the Cam and the Teutonia, it feels a lot bigger, probably because of the high seat. I know some have said they love it higher because, for example, they can pull the stroller up to a restaurant table and the child will be at table-level, but personally I've felt like waitstaff etc. cringe when they see me haul that thing into a restaurant compared to a seemingly more reasonably sized Cam or Teutonia.

So, I guess what I am saying is, DS3 would be fine in the Vista still, but at 8 months I no longer need the newborn-friendly features of that stroller. So it is not really my fave any more because I would rather have the better steering. It still has the advantage of the better canopy and better basket, (and adjustable footrest) compared to the Cam, so if you feel those features are more important long-term than the push, I would go with the Vista. If you value the better push, reversible handlebar, slightly smaller footprint of the Cam, and can deal with the fold, I would go with that.

As for the fold/unfold, I haven't seen a T-460 IRL so I don't know how bulky it is. I hated the Cam fold. 2 piece but also just "wonky" to open it back up for lack of a better word. T-260 fold is 2-piece so still not great but the frame is super easy to open and close. Vista is best I guess since it's 1 piece facing forward. IMO Teutonia T-460 would seem to be a good bet as it has great suspension and reversible handle like a Cam but also good canopy, peekaboo window, and a completely separate, nice-sized bassinet like the Vista (not a great basket though). But if the fold is a dealbreaker in your case then, honestly either Cam or Vista would be fine, just think what particular features of each are most important for you assuming you want to keep the stroller for a long time.
    M, Mom to 3 handsome boys, '06, '08, '11

Mom3boys,

Did you have to use the Teutonia in the car at all? I didn't realize that the Teutonia seat didn't fold until we got to the store. We live in NYC, so walking is our primary method of transportation but we do own a car and drive on the weekends, so the fold is somewhat relevant for us. The owner of the store suggested that maybe if I want the Teutonia so badly, we should get a BJCM and keep it in the car for the car trips... but my hope has been to get away with just owning one stroller. The Bugaboo doesn't have the best fold either but it seems like a safer choice because all of our friends have one, so we already know how it works out.

mom3boys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have used the Teutonia frame in the car with the car seat quite a bit (I have the car seat adapter). That is super easy but it is easy with a Cam too. I've used the actual stroller seat in and out of the car a few times. I take the seat off to fold and it seems to "flatten" a bit if you do that, unless they have redesigned the seat (mine is a 2009). I did at first try to fold the stroller with the seat on--and the seat basically sits completely upright on the flattened frame and it is bulky and looks ridiculous, so now I always take the seat off but that is an extra step and it is still not that compact. It is definitely not a great car stroller.

My car is an SUV though, so my trunk is quite "high", which makes it easier.

I live outside of NYC in Hoboken and everyone has Cams (or Frogs) and Vistas so I thought it would be nice to be different and have the Teutonia. I do really like it but the Cam is a great stroller for NYC too, it probably does fold up a little flatter. The nice thing about a Cam too, it is easy to change out the canopy color or whatever if you want to switch it up a bit. If you want to do your grocery shopping on foot the Vista is the best, the basket holds like 4 bags of groceries.

I think you will ultimately end up with a "car stroller" no matter how much you fight it--if not a BJCM, an umbrella stroller. But you don't have to get that right away.
    M, Mom to 3 handsome boys, '06, '08, '11