Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default How long to let a 5 week old sleep?

My DD is 5 weeks old. She's recently begun to sleep for longer stretches at night. Last night, she slept for 7.5 hours. My understanding was that as long as weight gain is normal and baby is healthy, at this point it's fine to let her sleep until she wakes up. (and she is -- was weighed yesterday at the pedi and her weight was exactly where it should be on the growth curve) However, DH is very concerned that 7.5 hours is too long to let a baby that young sleep w/o nursing -- he's worried about dehydration. He remembers hearing that she shouldn't go longer than 4 hours at this point, but we can't find where he got that.

What do you wise mamas out there say? I've tried to look it up in some of the baby books I have, and a few online sites, but everything seems focused on babies who aren't sleeping for long periods of time (i.e. - the section on "sleeping through the night" says "don't be discouraged when your baby doesn't sleep for very long", it doesn't say anything about how long is "safe"). I'd love to encourage her to sleep through the night if she's ready and able to do it, but only if it's okay to do so at this point.

As a side note -- I'm EBF at this point. If she starts sleeping that long consistently, I'm figuring I should probably pump somewhere during that time, right? I was very uncomfortable by the end of the 7.5 hours last night! I'm also going to be going back to work full time in a month, so I figure it'd be a good time to build my stash.

TIA!!!
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

3-4 hours during the day; as long as baby wants at night!!!

If baby is eating 8-12 times/ day, all is well, IMO. Doesn't natty after what that looks like schedule wise.

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would let her sleep. My DD slept through the night from 6 wks on and the pediatrician said to consider myself lucky. I'm of the never wake a sleeping baby camp.

As long as she's getting enough feedings in the daytime, you can let her sleep as long as she wants at night. Consider yourself lucky!

As for feeling engorged at night, your body will adjust accordingly so it should be better after a couple of days.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    3-4 hours during the day; as long as baby wants at night!!!

If baby is eating 8-12 times/ day, all is well, IMO. Doesn't natty after what that looks like schedule wise.
    This.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks everyone for the reassurance! She is definitely still eating enough during a 24-hour period....when she sleeps so long at night she always eats an extra time or two during the day. She slept 6.5 hours last night, so I'm hoping this will continue!
    Lizi

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Let the diapers dictate, if you are getting wet diapers throughout the day, then no need to fear dehydration and let her sleep. 5 weeks and 7 hours of sleep?? consider yourself lucky and enjoy the rest.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Enjoy it while it lasts. I am in the never wake a sleeping baby camp (unless there are extenuating circumstances of course...preemies/failing to thrive etc.).
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as there's weight gain, and wet diapers, please don't think about disturbing your baby. She is old enough

congratulations!

----------------------------------------------------------------