chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default pink eye or seasonal allergies?

for those of you with kiddo's whose eyes are effected by seasonal allergies (red, crusty) does it ever just effect one eye? only one eye is red, itchy and crusty, do you think this could be allergies? hoping its not pink eye.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS gets allergy eyes and one eye is definitely worse than the other. I am SO tired of people thinking it's pinkeye!

Quote Originally Posted by Momit View Post
    My DS gets allergy eyes and one eye is definitely worse than the other. I am SO tired of people thinking it's pinkeye!
    does one eye look totally clear and the other red and crusty?

In our case the crusty eyes glued shut in the morning has been pink eye, and it always started in one eye before showing in the other. Allergy eyes were both red, itchy and watery, but not crusty.

Quote Originally Posted by chozen View Post
    does one eye look totally clear and the other red and crusty?
    The other eye gets a little "goop" on the inside corner but I can keep it clean with a tissue. The bad eye produces much more. The white stays clear but the eye is really crusty.
    Last edited by Momit; 03-27-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Momit View Post
    The other eye gets a little "goop" on the inside corner but I can keep it clean with a tissue. The bad eye produces much more. The white stays clear but the eye is really crusty.
    so your sons eyes are not red just crusty? i am wondering if this is pink eye, his one eye is very red and draining the other is clear. they said that they think its allergies but now i am not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chozen View Post
    so your sons eyes are not red just crusty? i am wondering if this is pink eye, his one eye is very red and draining the other is clear. they said that they think its allergies but now i am not so sure.
    It does get red in the corners, where the goopy stuff collects, but the entire white is not pink or red. He has never had pinkeye so I don't know how to compare it to that. His eyes have been really bad for the last few days.

Good luck! I'm not sure which is better - pinkeye or allergies - but I hope your DC is better soon!

According to the advice nurse at my doctor's office when I had an allergic reaction...

Allergies are (generally) both eyes and "teary" or watery, but not "glue crusty".

Infectious pink eye can be one eye or both, and is more likely to "boogery" or "crusty".
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)