JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Familiar with sandusky, OH or nearby?

We got a great deal at Great Wolf Lodge and are taking our kids (ages 1-9yrs) for a few days during their spring break. Obviously the water park will be a big source of entertainment, and unfortunately Cedar Rapids will not be open yet. Can anyone recommend anything else in the area we should do? Any good family friendly restaurants? We have 6 kids but they are very well-mannered. Any great shopping? Anyone been there and have any suggestions?

TIA
    J

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sandusky is the home of Cedar Point amusement park. I can't think of much to do in the town besides CP, GWL or Kalahari (CP won't be open yet). There are many of the chain restaurants, but I don't know of any good smaller places. IIRC, there is a mall.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons View Post
    Sandusky is the home of Cedar Point amusement park. I can't think of much to do in the town besides CP, GWL or Kalahari (CP won't be open yet). There are many of the chain restaurants, but I don't know of any good smaller places. IIRC, there is a mall.
    It's basically an amusement park capital, but doesn't have much of anything else. A friend of mine is big into waterparks and swears that kalahari is much better than GWL. I don't know if you care of not. We have only been to the kalahari at sandusky and the one in WI and the one in sandusky is nicer than the one in WI. There is nothing around the area otherwise, we live an hr away and it's literally just vast corn fields and nothing on the way there.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

oh bummer. I meant cedar point, by the way...not sure where I got cedar rapids from.

Well, we are only there two nights.

My parents own a time share and had extra "points" so it is not costing us anything other than gas to get there and food. Plus our kids are young, so we'll check it out this time, but keep in mind that Kalahari is better. They have limited water park experience, and my only concern is being able to keep an eye on all 6 of them.

Thanks!

If it's like the great wolf lodge in the Poconos ( and I assume it is), there are other activities at Great Wolf. They have a pretty cool arcade, offer a scavenger hunt activity, and story time around 8 PM in lobby. They also have a mani/pedi place for kids, but that could get pricey!

Have fun.
    Ashley

DD 10/2005

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Marblehead lighthouse (and the vicinity) is neat - only about a 10 min drive from GWL. We took the boys to a maritime museum that was nearby too - it was small but they liked it.

My dad was stationed there when he was in the coast guard so maybe my interest in the area is biased.
    ~Bill

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons View Post

There is not much to do in the area unless you drive into Cleveland. Cedar Point is not open until summer.

THere's a really neat cheese shop nearby. Unfortunately I can not remember the name. Not only are you close to Marblehead lighthouse you are close to East Harbor State park. Too cold for swimming but there are some nice hiking trails. fishing is really nice around the area (but you might find it a bit cold).

When I was a kid we use to spend weekends up there during the summer. Most of the places tend to be seasonal and I don't think they'll be open though there is a zoo of some sort up near there.

If the ferry is running you might want to jump on it and go see the glacial grooves on Kelley's Island.

Jen
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm with Bill, my interest in the area is totally biased because we had family in the area and went all the time. Definitely check out the lighthouse and maritime museum. And I have mad love for Thomas Alva Edison. Some of these are not year round, so check the websites for availability.

The Merry-Go Round Museum:
    http://www.merrygoroundmuseum.org/
    The pipe organ can be pretty loud and it's one ride per person per visit, but you can see restoration in progress (i vividly remember them putting gold leaf on a horse when I was a kid and for some reason a lot of the houses on lake Erie at the time had horses in the front bay windows, so we were on the lookout after that). Good for about an hour visit

The Edison Museum (They Might Be Giants fans, this is not the NJ one) This is technically in Milan, OH and is his birthplace:
    http://www.tomedison.org/
    Really for older kids as it's not hands on. But for TAE obsessed me and brothers growing up and DD, fun for a little time, about an hour.

Drive thru safari (never been, just saw it when looking for previous 2):
    http://www.africansafariwildlifepark.com/

In case there wasn't a link before, the Maritime museum:
    http://www.sanduskymaritime.org/

The only place I ever remember eating was Cameo pizza. My dad was friends with the original owners and it was family tradition to go there:
    http://www.cameopizza.com/

Adding put-in-bay!
    We loved to take the ferry to Put-In-Bay and explore all the fun stuff in that area:
    http://www.putinbay.com/

Have fun!
    Last edited by newnana; 03-27-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: adding put-in-bay