Default Which Weber Q grill?

We finally finished our backyard last year, and we're excited to get a grill. From doing a bunch of searches here, seems like everyone recommends the Webers.

We have a very small space, so I've been looking at the Weber Q series. Anyone have one? I'm debating between the 200 and 300 models (sorry, I don't know how to post links). Once you add the 'extras' we would buy for the 200, the 300 isn't much more expensive.

The 200 is a bit smaller, and you have to buy the base separately. It takes the smaller propane cylinders, but you can buy an extra attachment hose to use the bigger canisters. I like this flexibiltiy, so that we can use the big canisters at home, but then if we ever want to take it somewhere (albeit rarely), we don't have to lug the huge propane tank, and can just take a mini one.

The 300 comes with a base. Only thing is the website is unclear if it takes both types of propane cylinders. It for sure takes the bigger tanks, but I'm not sure if it takes a smaller cylinders, for if we want to take the grill somewhere (camping, a friend's cottage, etc). Anyone know?

Also, I'm new to grilling. Anyone know how much grilling time we should expect from one of those larger white tanks, vs. the smaller cylinders?

Any advice from someone who has the Q200 or Q300 would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

I don't have experience with the Q Series, except that I have a friend that has used it at tail gates and the like. How small of a space are we talking about? I live in a townhouse and our backyard is 600 sqft and we have this grill: http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/...s/spirit-e-210. It is perfect for our family and works fine when we have company. I strongly recommend it.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Glad to hear you like the Spirit210, BabyBearsMom. I was looking at that one too, but the Q300 was about $150 less, for around the same amount of grilling space. Think the Spirit is worth that much more?
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

i have the q300 and love it. when looking at smaller grills, i would recommend going with the larger size. when cooking certain things like bbq chicken, you want to use indirect heat and a larger cooking surface will give you more area to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by froggert View Post
    i have the q300 and love it. when looking at smaller grills, i would recommend going with the larger size. when cooking certain things like bbq chicken, you want to use indirect heat and a larger cooking surface will give you more area to do so.

Thanks, froggert. Does the Q300 take both the large propane tanks and the smaller canisters, or just the large tanks?
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We bought a q320 last year after researching and narrowing it down to the spirit 2 burner and the weber q. Love it, and am always amazed at the quantity of food we can fit on there since we feed 6 hungry people. I love tucking a cast iron griddle pan on there for onions/peppers when grilling fajita meat. Really love the cast iron grates since they get nice and hot which makes for an awesome sear. We've done burgers, fish, shrimp, steaks, chicken and chops on ours.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

Quote Originally Posted by mm123 View Post
    Thanks, froggert. Does the Q300 take both the large propane tanks and the smaller canisters, or just the large tanks?
    i've only used the tank, so have no idea about the smaller canisters. sorry.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have a Weber Q200 that I have had for 8/1/2 yrs., and I love the thing. The Q200 was the best model when I bought it. We originally just bought the little tank, but they didn't last long at all so we've been using the large tank ever since. The small tanks would be good for tailgating, but we never do that. The Weber Q200 is our main BBQ. We originally bought this unit when we lived in a condo, but now use it at our house and figure if it isn't broken why replace it. I don't need a super huge unit so this works for us. Sometimes I wish I had a rotisserie to make rotissierie chicken, but overall the Q is great. We bought the cart too.

If I were to buy today I'd probably get the 300. I paid $179 for the Q200 in 2003 (gotta love Amazon's order history page).

eta: we have also BBQd for 10 or so people and have never thought there wasn't enough room. We can easily BBQ tri tips, and can do 6 burgers or chicken breasts at a time or more than enough hot dogs.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-04-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

We have the 200, because when we bought it the 300s didn't exist (it's lasted us a long time!) We have the cart for it, so clearly we would have bought the 300 if it existed, since adding the cart makes it almost the same cost art the 300. We love it. Back pre-kids, we'd take it tail gating, and it was very easy to transport. We grilled for about 9 adults, and never wished for more space. I bought DH a handle light, which comes in handy later in the summer as the days get shorter.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!