Thread: gold party?

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default gold party?

Has anyone been to a party where you bring your gold jewlery and whatnot and sell it? I've just been invited to an MNO siena gold party. I do have some gold stuff that I was going to sell at a local jeweler. Just wondering if there would be a difference in what I could get.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

I haven't been to one before... Interestingly, there's a commercial on the local Christian radio station that urges against "selling your gold at a hotel or home show" right now.

Before I did it, I would want to know what a local jeweler would give me for it, so I know what kind of deal I am getting....

I'll admit I'm completely afraid of getting "hosed" at one of these kind of parties, though. I mean, how do we know how honest they really are? Are they certified? Are their scales appropriately certified and balanced? What happens if there is some sort of discrepancy?

Too many unknowns for me, I think!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

I think Dh feels similarly. He didn't reject it out of hand, but he did say I need to do some research on the "company" doing the party, and maybe just gold parties in general. There is a kiosk in our local mall that buys gold, but I've never really looked into them.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Just check out what the going rate is. If you have some higher quality pieces and/or any gems of note the home party isn't going to do you well. When I went to one 2 years ago the rate was within 10% of what the trusted local jeweler was giving. Except the jeweler was only in store credit not straight cash. If I had a large amount or wanted to make a new piece with the gold I had the jeweler or other dealer would be the way to go. But all I had was some single earrings and a couple cheap chains. I was not going to take the time to mess with that. The pieces had been sitting for years, why not go, visit friends and come home with the $60.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our local cancer thrift shop advertised having a guy there for a "special" 3 hours one day - - he's a guy who does home parties so i was curious about his pricing - - whether i would make out better do this "special" party.

Well- a gold buying place offered me $250 for a necklace cash - - and he offered me $120 for the same necklace.

Worse part about it - - he really pressured that I wasn't going to find a better price than him - and he really made it hard to walk away. I obviously played dumb cause there was NO way knowing what i knew about pricing. I felt sorry for alot of people there thinking and pressured that he was giving better rates than any gold buying place.

Honestly remember that you can shop around and don't get pressured!!! I was shocked at the different prices I got at different places! HUGE differences!

I think most of these places are experts - - experts at NOT telling you the rates, NOT telling you the exact weight, trying to tell you the karat is different, etc.

They do all possible to give you as little info as possible.

HOnestly i went to 3 different places and got quotes. It's HARD to hold your ground and walk away cause they are salesman! I was happy with the place i finally went with and felt they were at least being the most honest.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mikey0709; 04-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks Ladies! I googled "selling gold tips" and got some great info, some of what you emphasized here. Think I will take my stuff to the jeweler to start with, then maybe to the gold party. Though the sources I looked at said parties are more for fun than making money, not surprisingly. Now I still have 2 pieces that I canNOt find anywhere and it's bumming me out, since those were the pieces I thought of first when I got this idea of selling gold.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

The local paper did a comparison of different places to sell gold locally including the kiosk in the mall, a gold party and few local jewelry/gold coin stores. The gold party and the mall kiosk gave the worst price for the gold, two local gold and coin stores gave the best. I went to the gold and coin shop and sold a few pieces. It was nice to clean out the jewelry box of things I no longer wanted and make some money too.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i've gone to two. i don't have much gold, but a friend sold her old "ex-boyfriend" jewelry from highschool and college and made $500! on about 2 tennis bracelets, and 2 neclaces!!
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)