Default Anyone ever had a spray tan?

I'm specifically thinking about airbrush tanning. I don't tan at all naturally, just burn. we are going on vacation to Florida for about a month and I'd really like to have at least a little color before we get there. I've tried the at-home sunless Tanners and they all seem to have their flaws. I'm wondering if the professional airbrush tan would look better. Anyone have one done? Any other suggestions? TIA!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've done airbrush tans for vacations. I've generally been happy with them. They don't really last more than a few days, a week at most. Also depending on what you plan to do while tan it can shorten the life of the tan. I was told no pools, no oceans, no beaches... I've been happy with the tans, but wish they lasted longer. I even bought the expensive lotions they said would keep it longer, but it lasted the same as times I didn't use it. I suggest trying it out before your trip to see what you want as far as color too.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Once. She wasn't as good evenly applying the solution as I'd hoped (one arm was much darker than the other) but if you can find someone who knows what they are doing they are really nice.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have done it several times. My "tantress'" name is Katie.
    I stand there naked and she sprays me down by hand.
    I feel like the best time to do it is for a big event or big weekend. When I go to Hawaii for 2 weeks I don't bother doing it because after about 4 days, it starts to look really funky, as half of it has flaked off. And if you are really fair, it can be really noticeable.
    This summer I think I am going to try the St. Tropez self tanner and then keep reapplying it after I do a deep exfoliation on my own every 5 days or so. But when I am on vacation, while I want to look all nice and tan, I also don't want to deal with "tan maintenance", KWIM? So I will probably see how the St. Tropez works starting in a week or so and if I like it, I may take it with me on vacation for reapplication after either an initial spray down or an initial self application. Either way, after a week you will have to do some kind of reapplication or a full exfoliation, or else the flaking off will be annoying.

If you do still go for it though I would not get a really dark application. I know it feels like you want to get your money's worth but I have found that going just a few shades darker as opposed to going really dark will still look nice and won't lead to such a drastic funky flaking affect.
    DD
    DS

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Several times, and I love it. I prefer the airbrush than the spray tans in a booth. Just make sure you moisturize well for the few days before, and put the "blocking" lotion on dry areas like your knuckles, knees, and anywhere else you don't want to get "tan."

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've never done airbrush, but I usually have a spray tan membership. I don't right now since I've moved. You can get the spray tan or airbrush and then get your own self tanner to keep it going. The self tanner is only around $10.

I love having it.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Everything Elektra said, but I didn't want to quote such a long post.

I go to a studio that was written up in InStyle. They use all organic products and are very detailed. They are awesome. With twice daily moisturizing, I can get the tan to last about 7 days at the most. It's great for an event, or just during the week in the summer when you want to look more tan. But, any time in the pool or the ocean will decrease the life of your tan.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have done the Mystic tan before going on a beach vacation (it gets all the places that are hard to reach with self tanner), I was very pleased. I went the night before we left, I left it on all night and showered the next day. It lasted about 5 days (at which time I had some natural color and I applied some self tanner to my lower legs as shaving tends to exfoliate more).

I recommend exfoliating well before you go. I wore a dark tshirt (no bra home) and it worked out well.

You put this blocker lotion on your fingers and ankles and don't do a Ross Geller and forget to turn around half way through (seriously one of the funniest episodes of Friends).

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have been thinking about this too, as I have a big event coming up in a few weeks. My friend sent me this link, just today. Making a spray tanner out of tea!

borntobeblonde.com/best-tan-recipe-ever/
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have done both the Mystic Tan and the airbrush tan. I wasn't impressed with the Mystic Tan because I still had some streaking. The airbrush tan turned out really well. The only thing I really didn't like about it was that I had to stand naked in front of a cute 20 year old blonde girl while she sprayed me down. I would agree with Elektra that I wouldn't do it for a vacation because it does look funky when it starts to fade and I would imagine the pool or ocean would not be good for the tan. It's perfect for a weekend or a special event.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05