Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 17 month old walking delay??? Need advise,please =)

My 17 month old DD has only walked independently a handful of times. But it seems when she walks that it is very difficult for her. She doesn't move her feet forward so much but out and over like if her knees were in a splint. I see other kids and they walk more effortlessly than her. She stands for long periods of time and cruises pretty well but is cautious and laid back. My MIL who is a nurse but has never worked with kids keeps telling me I need to take her to an Orthopeadic Pediatrician but I'm not so sure. I an not big into interventions etc and am not terribly concerned... but maybe I should be?? She took her first steps at 16.5 months and is now on the verge of 18 months and is still just taking 2-3 steps every 2-3 days. Any thoughts would be appreciated. In every other area she is on target or ahead in my opinion. Her speech is excellent, she communicates well. She laughs and sings etc. In contrast her brother was born 5 weeks premature and walked at 13.5 months.
    Thanks for your input!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

No advice, but hopefully Beth (Brittone) will see this. She was a PT with Early Intervention.

I would though consider getting an evaluation - you say it looks like it difficult, and on the off chance she is in pain, you would want that treated. An evaluation: 1. It won't hurt at all. 2. It will put your mind at ease if there's no concern. 3. If there is concern, they will be the people to know what to do. And if she does need PT, the sooner the better. 4. Evaluations with Early Intervention can take time to get, so if you call now and she starts running, you can cancel.

I delayed DS's speech therapy and it's having an impact on schooling, earlier therapy would have meant less time now and it would have been easier for him...but live and learn.
    Last edited by niccig; 04-23-2012 at 10:57 PM.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Based on your description I would want an evaluation.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    Based on your description I would want an evaluation.

I would start with your ped and describe what you are experiencing. It doesn't sound like a normal progression to me.
    K

Yeah, I would, too. DD crawled at 10 months and walked at 15, and I was worried at around the 13-14 month point. We had her evaluated through our insurance company (later found out that our school district would've done it free through Early Intervention, birth-3), and she ended up walking a week or so later. She ended up needing speech therapy, though, and I'm glad we had her evaluated for that.

I think I've heard/ read that the range for walking goes up to 18 months, but I'm assuming at the child's 15 and 18 month well child appointments, the doctor would be asking if the child is walking yet, and if not, would probably write a referral for an evaluation.

Good luck! I totally echo PPs' comments that it can't hurt to get evaluated, and if your DC ends up needing help and getting it, that's great!

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My dd didnt start walking until 19 months, we went the early intervention route at 11 months when she couldnt sit up on her own. I highly recommend it. Now, at almost 23 months, she is running, climbing stairs and loves the playground. She still gets pt, she needs to build her strength, but would not be running today without the ei pt
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

another one for getting an eval. my DD was 5 weeks premature and at almost 14 months is standing, but not taking any steps at all..i'm not concerned yet but i think by 17 mos adjusted age (18mos) if she is stil not walking i'd definitely be requesting an evaluation...i'd want her to get the help she needs as early as possible.

i agree with PP, and eval may also let you in on other possible delays/areas to work on you may not have realized. my DD at 10 mos was not crawling, scooting, or pulling up at all but they said she did not have any motor delays, but had receptive language delay.

cheri is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'm a physiatrist (rehab physician), and I do quite a bit of pads. I would recommend an evaluation as well. What you're describing sounds concerning. There are many routes to get the issue evaluated, but I'd recommend talking to your local Early Intervention and requesting a developmental evaluation, and having her seen by your pediatrician to see about a medical referral (to peds ortho or peds rehab). That way you're covering it from both the therapy and medical angles.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would also get an evaluation - you might be able to get one for free from EI. Most likely they will recommend some form of physical therapy to help her muscles (not just leg muscles, but this can include core muscles and brain integration stuff too) work together the way they are supposed to. There might also be other issues at play like a skeletal issue that needs medical attention. Problems like this are SO MUCH easier to address and resolve when they are caught early.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Thanks everyone! I'll be making the calls in the morning to schedule her to be evaluated by the Early Intervention program at our hospital. Please keep me prayer if you can, I am nervous about this being more serious than I ever imagined.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast