gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Menu suggestions for an Open House/Reception following a First Communion?

Gator is having his first communion this weekend and mass will end at 11am. I've invited my area relatives to come to our house afterwards for a reception. I decided not to ask for RSVPs because you never know if that is going to be an accurate count of who will actually show up anyway. I'm guessing we'll have between 20-30 people.

DH has offered to make his pulled pork sandwiches which are excellent. He makes them for groups of people all the time and I'm sure we'll have enough sandwiches. And I do plan to make my Grand Fruit Salad that I posted here one day. It is beautiful, delicious and can serve a ton of people (plus I can make it ahead as it tastes even better a few days later).

But I"m really struggling on sides. I was hoping for something a little more elegant than just potato salad that DH suggested. But I'm also looking for something that will keep a day or two in case I have overestimated who is coming. I am getting 3 dozen cupcakes from a local specialty bakery for dessert. They should be pretty fancy (never ordered from them before but they came highly recommended by a friend I trust).

Any suggestions what would be nice at that time of day to eat in addition to Pulled Pork sandwiches, fruit salad and cupcakes?

Thanks!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Cole slaw, corn bread and a cold green bean salad are my usual sides with my pulled pork sandwiches, especially for a large group.

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How about a carrot apple salad or a cold green bean salad? I always serve corn muffins and coleslaw with pulled pork. Corn on the cobb, but that is not exactly elegant!
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How about a caprese? I halve cherry tomatoes and the small fresh mozzarella balls. Use the cheese marinating oil, some balsamic vinegar and top with fresh chopped basil. Really easy, pretty, and yummy.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson