Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

*Cherie* if you don't mind me asking, does what I describe correspond to any common disorders that you see in young children??

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AuGoldie View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll be making the calls in the morning to schedule her to be evaluated by the Early Intervention program at our hospital. Please keep me prayer if you can, I am nervous about this being more serious than I ever imagined.
    It may not be serious, so try to not worry/google too much. I know that's difficult to do. They key is getting her in front of someone who can determine if there's reason to be concerned or not. Hopefully you'll be posting an update saying she's running laps and it was nothing! But better to be safe IYKWIM.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

ITA with the recommendation to proceed with an eval. Walking has a normal range of 9-18 months. Many kids in toe, out toe, walk with bow legs, etc. as toddlers, and that usually isn't anything to worry about.

However, the unusual way she's walking combined with a lack of solid progression would concern me, and I think you need to have her seen.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

My second dd didn't walk until 17 months and she walked funny too. Her pediatrician pointed out that she's hyper flexible which makes it harder for them to get their balance without wobbling.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Thank you everyone for the responses. I went to the pediatrician yesterday and he looked her over very carefully and watched her walk with me for a long time. He said he doesn't think there is any underlying condition, she's just delayed because her muscles aren't strong enough yet so she's compensating with a wide gait. (I guess my description of her walk was exaggerated?) He recommended PT and said to keep giving her lots of exercise at home. And he said he was pleased with the progress she's made since he saw her in February (she was not walking at ALL in February, not even holding on to my fingers) Thank you all for recommending I go, very happy I did so. Now to get the eval. and PT done ASAP. =)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Good luck getting your eval., but both of my girls were late walkers at 17 months and not confident and consistent walkers until 18 months, but I will say one suggestion that helped both of my girls out a lot was getting them a pair of Crocs. A mom at DD1's daycare (who is also a soecial ed. teacher) mentioned that the Crocs helped her son feel more stable so I tried it with DD1 and low and behold it worked for her and she was definitely more confident and within a week or two she was more confident about walking. I did the same thing with DD2 who didn't take her first steps until 17/1/2 months old.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Good luck getting your eval., but both of my girls were late walkers at 17 months and not confident and consistent walkers until 18 months, but I will say one suggestion that helped both of my girls out a lot was getting them a pair of Crocs. A mom at DD1's daycare (who is also a soecial ed. teacher) mentioned that the Crocs helped her son feel more stable so I tried it with DD1 and low and behold it worked for her and she was definitely more confident and within a week or two she was more confident about walking. I did the same thing with DD2 who didn't take her first steps until 17/1/2 months old.
    As a pedi PT, I would advise against this for most kids. You can certainly experiment though.

eta: for example, webmd article on buying shoes says hold off until 2+ for crocs, because crocs can be a tripping hazard. IMO they are too clunky and wide for a new walker, and difficult for a child to feel where there foot is in space while wearing something like that.
    http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide...s-for-toddlers
    Last edited by brittone2; 04-25-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AuGoldie View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll be making the calls in the morning to schedule her to be evaluated by the Early Intervention program at our hospital. Please keep me prayer if you can, I am nervous about this being more serious than I ever imagined.
    Good luck, hope all is ok. I also think having an evaluation is a good idea, even may just put your mind at ease. I did not walk until I was 17mo so my mom took me for an evaluation and all was well. Hopefully the same is true for you as well.
    ETA: Just saw your update....glad you got good news.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

DD#3 has low muscle tone and we have been in PT since she was 11 months old (she will be 3 in June). She is doing great and we have the most amazing PT. The PT will help work & strengthen their muscles and give you exercises to do at home. What I have found so fascinating learning about a low tone is how it affects more than just gross motor stuff. I wish more dr.'s talked about low tone.
    Melissa

Mom to Emma (4/03), Kate (7/05), Sam and Claire (6/09)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    As a pedi PT, I would advise against this for most kids. You can certainly experiment though.

eta: for example, webmd article on buying shoes says hold off until 2+ for crocs, because crocs can be a tripping hazard. IMO they are too clunky and wide for a new walker, and difficult for a child to feel where there foot is in space while wearing something like that.
    http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide...s-for-toddlers
    For whatever reason I still can't explain it helped with DD1 walking, I just kind of figured because it was wider and had a more substainsial sole, but was still flexible. I had her in Robeez and or Pedipeds but she just wouldn't walk, she'd stand up take a step and sit down, I put the Crocs on her and she actually walked while holding my hand. Once she was walking all of the time I still primarily kept her in the soft soled shoes until 2, but it was nice to have the Crocs as an option for the park and outside play, and her trying to ride her plasma car, which she did before she was walking well. I have done the same thing with DD2, primarily soft soled shoes until 2.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast