Default California Adventurer with1 year old - tips/suggestions??

We're headed to CA for just a day in a couple of weeks. DH is actually working as a contract performer there, so while we'll watch him perform for a bit of the day, I'll basically be on my own, though I think I've talked a friend with a DD the same as as DS to join us. I've never been to DL or CA, and it's been 25 years since I went as a kid to WDW, I kind of don't even know where to begin research wise, or if any research is even necessary since it's not like taking an older child who would have definite ideas of characters to meet, etc. I guess I can get a sense of the park layout, things designed for small children from the website, but other tips/suggestions?
    Last edited by echoesofspring; 05-04-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: California Adventure, sigh
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are going to DL in less than 3 weeks with DD, who is 4.

I have been there, most recently in 2002. Have not been to CA yet.

That said, I'd check and see what there is for little ones at that age, at CA. What I have gotten so far in my research is that CA is more suited to older kids, because of the roller coasters.

I'm originally from Orange County and with a 1 year old I would do Disneyland, as opposed to CA Adventure. The coolest things about CA Adventure are the bigger rides. Yes, your DD may enjoy the Bug Life and what not, but i think Disneyland will be more interesting (and more to do in general).

Oh wait, do you have a choice of going to the other park?

Well, if not, I would just walk around CA Adventure, go to the Bug thing, do the car ride through LA (or whatever it is), get a beer, and just kind of relax. It is a more relaxed theme park in my opinion, and since you won't be spending a lot of time standing in line for Soaring over CA or the Hollywood Tower rides, you will have a lot of time on your hands. Oh, and check out Downtown Disney while you are there. The Rainforest Cafe is a fun place to eat, but not very original.

You are also close enough to Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park (15 min up the 5 freeway, transition to 91W and exit Beach Blvd). It is also a theme park, smaller, lots of big kid rides, but also home to Camp Snoopy, which is perfect for younger kids.

Discovery Science Museum in Santa Ana is not far from D-Land, and very fun. My daughter was about 16m old when we took her there and she loved it. There is also a zoo in Santa Ana that my parents took her too, and they had fun. She rode a camel there (or so she tells me).

Have fun!
    Audrey - Feb 2010
    Anderson - Dec 2011

Please, no babies in 2012!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In CA there is some fun stuff to do with little ones.

In the hollywood backlot you can do the Monsters Inc ride. A Bugs Land has 4 rides and a fun water play area (bring swim suit and towel and shoes that can get wet). In the pier area you can ride the carousel, toy story mania and the ferris wheel. Oh and also Ariel's undersea adventure. I think I would also check out the Redwood creek Challenge ... your little one is on the smaller side for it but if she is walking and into exploring then it could be a great place to let her down and walk. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...allenge-trail/
    there is a lot of stuff to look at at the Animation Building, the Toy Story Zoetrope is AWESOME!
    http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...ney-animation/

Our family loves Disney's California Adventure ... it's not Disneyland, but it is still a lot of fun. Too bad you are not visiting after June 15th ... thats the date that Cars Land opens!

Thanks for the suggestions of things to do! It never occurred to me to pack my swimsuit. We'll probably just stick to CA since we only have 1 day for the trip (drive down the night before, leave after DH is finished that evening), and CA is where DH is working. I could go to DL but the passes we will be using are only good for 1 park a day, so I wouldn't get to see DH at all, and I'm really just going b/c DH is working there. We'll hit DL as family down the road.

Too bad you are not visiting after June 15th ... thats the date that Cars Land opens!
    Yup, by all accounts it's supposed to insane for a while after it opens, there's a big blackout window on our passes, etc. That's part of why we're going in the next couple weeks, since DS doesn't really know about Cars Land...yet
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Does CA still have the live show based on the Disney Channel shows? It used to be called Playhouse Disney; would it be called Disney Junior now? It was near the animation studio PP mentioned, and not far from the Monsters, Inc. ride, on the backlot.

My kids both like(d) that show.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"