army_mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default concierge on cruise

does anyone have experience with the concierge level on the Dream/Fantasy (obviously not much on Fantasy since it just set sail!). We are toying with the idea of upgrading to this level since DH hates to wait in line and likes to travel "in style" and thinks it will be nice to have drinks/snacks on call. My big question is if kids are welcome in the lounge or sundecks? If DD isn't allowed in the guest lounge it seems like it would be a big waste of money. Anyone ever done this level or have any details?

Our cruise isnt until next year so we have plenty of time. If we do decide to upgrade, when is the best time to upgrade (or does it matter)?

TIA!
    Roo (12/08)
    Bear (7/15)
    (10/16)

I haven't personally been in concierge on the Dream or Fantasy (all the bigwigs had the suites on the Fantasy's maiden voyage last week!) but sailed concierge 3 times on the Magic.

Kids are welcome in the concierge lounges and on the concierge sundeck. The sundeck has panels around it to separate it from the adult sundeck area (and new satellite falls area on the Fantasy). The concierge always does special things for the kids, including coloring books, arcade cards, popcorn for movie nights, etc.

Once you book a concierge room, your deposit is non-refundable, and I don't think you get the discount if you are transferring an onboard booking (if you've sailed them before and booked a future reservation while onboard.) I think you can transfer the reservation to another cruise, but it remains non-refundable (unlike most deposits that are fully refundable up to 75 or 90 days before the cruise.)

If you really want to sail concierge, and are planning to sail during a popular time of year, then I'd book as soon as you were sure. If you aren't committed to it, or decide you'd rather take another cruise for the extra you'd spend on the concierge room, then I'd hold off. I have a friend who only books concierge, and this August he'll have sailed in the Roy suite on all 4 ships (we've only been in the Roy on the Magic, which was fabulous!)

If you really want to be pampered, and your cruise stops at Castaway Cay, the private beach cabanas are fabulous!! The ship's concierge staff wait on you all day in the cabanas, and you have your own beach area, plus all the beach toys (snorkels, bikes, rafts, floats, toys, hammock) and amenities you need. Plus a buzzer to call someone whenever you need a drink, or a ride somewhere!
    Cathleen
    Mom to DS 8, DD 5 and a Greyhound Princess

army_mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

thanks for the info! The non refundable is why we didn't book in the first place but I thought you couldn't even transfer it. I'm OK with being able to move it to a different cruise if we had to.

It's funny you say the cabanas at Castaway Cay...because I *really* want one of those but since we are first time cruisers I doubt there will be any left when we can book...that is just one reason we are thinking of concierge. Spending more money just to allow me to spend more money! We don't take big vacations often and I'm not sure I will be able to convince DH for another Disney cruise so I want to really enjoy this one We are cruising in early May (2013) so I am not sure how busy that is. But if we were to upgrade, it would be before the 120 day mark so we could enjoy the early booking benefit.

The Roy suite would be amazing but I just mentally can't commit to that much money! (maybe one day ) I was looking at the one bedroom and thinking how awesome it would be to stay in one and then look at the $$ tag. But you only live once and I know DH would enjoy it so much more. Such hard decisions in life

Did you just sail the Fantasy??
    Roo (12/08)
    Bear (7/15)
    (10/16)

Sorry, Army mom, just seeing your reply.

Yes, we sailed on the Fantasy's maiden voyage March 31 - April 7. It was awesome!!

One potential way to get into a cabana as a first time cruiser, is to make friends with a gold or platinum cruiser (the meet thread on the disboards is awesome!) that is booking a cabana and open to sharing it with someone. You can have up to 10 people in a cabana, though you have to pay an extra $50/pp over 6 people. So depending on how many are in your party, look for a group that has additional room. (Be sure they are booking on the family beach if you have kids with you!) We shared a cabana last summer and there were 9 of us in total and still well worth it!

All 3 of our concierge level cruises were obtained by upgrading at the port. But that was a lot easier before they had the concierge cabins on the web, since it wasn't as easy to find out what may be available since you had to call. Plus they weren't on peak cruises either since we sailed during school times.
    Cathleen
    Mom to DS 8, DD 5 and a Greyhound Princess