janeybwild is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Contact lens in my eye?!

I can't get my contact lens out. Its an AquaComfort dailies one. I can't even see it, although it feels like something is there. Its possible though it came out and my eye is just irritated from all the trying. I've tried saline rinses, closing my eyes, rubbing my eyeball. What will happen if I don't get it out?Anything else to try before I make a call?
    Last edited by janeybwild; 04-24-2012 at 12:01 PM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Could it have moved out of position and floated to the top or bottom of your eye? This happens to DH sometimes. He'll close his eye and then look extreme down or extreme up and see if he can move it back to the center by putting gentle pressure on the eyelid.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

This has happened to me many times. Usually comes out by massaging the eyeball with lid closed. Make sure you massage all around, including toward the inner and outer corners. This is where I am usually able to work the lens out. Make sure you didn't accidentally drop the lens or wash it away. One time I tried everything for a long time and no lens still. I assumed it washed down the drain and put a fresh lens in. If you're really concerned, I'd call your optometrist.
    Mommy to DS 2007

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes - happened to me many times too! and I was never sure if there was something still in there - or i just scratched my eye trying to get it out???

Usually it's stuck in my eye lid - and i have to pull it down and massage the lid REALLY good to finally work it out.

The last few times it bothered me and i worked at it an hour! What a relief when you finally get it - and sometimes it's in pieces!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've had mine get stuck in the top of my lid before. Drives me crazy. I pull my eyelid closed tightly and massage toward the corners. Sometimes I really have to dig around up top under the eye socket bone and then massage. Mine also tend to fold up once they get stuck up there which is really annoying.

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One way to get your eyes to tear up, without damaging the eye with the lens possibly still in it, is to irritate the OTHER eye in some way, e.g. vigorous rubbing. Both eyes will water and it will be easier to get the lens out. Hope it comes out soon!

----------------------------------------------------------------

EEEK! That happened to me twice. Once it was just gone (fell out). I found it on the sink, all dried up. The second time, I KNEW it was there. I felt it. It was all rolled up in my upper eyelid. I got it out through gentle massage and a ton of saline flushing.

Good luck, and I hope you get it out soon! Have you considered Lasik? DH and I both got it 8 or so years ago, and are soooo happy to not have to deal with the expense and discomfort of contacts and glasses anymore!