flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Transporting breastmilk internationally

How long does fresh milk last inside a Medela freezer pack? What about if I had a frozen bottle to begin with? I would love to take some bottles on a trip, but it would be around 18 hrs from refrigerator to refrigerator and not sure that is possible.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Per Medela's website regarding the cooler bag and ice pack:
    Holds 4 breastmilk bottles, and ice pack provides up to 12 hours of cooling time.

I don't know that you'd be able to take frozen milk and keep it cold enough for that long of a trip. Plus once it thaws, you're supposed to use it with in 24 hours. So you probably wouldn't be able to take that much. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone else has done it?

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ditty View Post
    Per Medela's website regarding the cooler bag and ice pack:
    Holds 4 breastmilk bottles, and ice pack provides up to 12 hours of cooling time.

I don't know that you'd be able to take frozen milk and keep it cold enough for that long of a trip. Plus once it thaws, you're supposed to use it with in 24 hours. So you probably wouldn't be able to take that much. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone else has done it?
    Thanks so much. I am thinking of freezing 1 -2 bottles and taking them. With all the traveling and some very tight connections I think a bottle might be easier on the go and hopefully freezing them will buy me the 18hrs I need - I might give Medela a call today.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014