At 10 mos (9mo adjusted age) my DD had an EI evaluation and it was determined that her most significant area of delay was in receptive language (she had the level of a 5 month old). However, apparently that was not delayed enough for services, and she started babbling and catching up with other things so we left it at that.

DD is now almost 14 mos (13 mos adjusted), and i've noticed that while she now says a few words (mama, dada, diaper, ball, poo-poo, cracker) she's still not doing very well in receptive language. She does not follow any commands at all; she NEVER points to thinks when asked (she will point to things all the time, but if you ask her "Where's Elmo?" she will not point to it, even if it's right there in front of her). If i ask her simple things like can you give me the toy, she doesn't seem to understand at all. She does babble a lot, and if she sees a ball she will point and say "Ball! ball! ball!" but if you ask her "Where's the ball?" she will usually ignore me and do nothing. It's like she doesn't hear or understand me.

I am also just shocked by the disparity with DS. At 11mos, I would ask him, "Where's the turtle? Can you find the turtle" (it would be on a shelf on the other side of the room), and he would walk around the room looking for it, then find it, and point. THen if we asked him to bring it to us, he would. I did this for five different objects he was familiar with and he did the same thing. This was waaayy before he could talk; he could not even say the names of the objects he was getting.

anyway, just wondering if anybody has any suggestions/comments...