Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Daycare snack question - Hummus?

The kids bring a snack 1x/month for the entire class. We've decided to do pretzels & hummus this month. DH does the grocery shopping and decided to get plain hummus (we always have garlic, roasted red pepper, olive, or pine nut flavored at home).

I get what he was thinking...He was afraid the flavored hummus would be too strong for some of the kids. But I'm concerned that the plain hummus will be too plain.

What do your kids eat? What is their favorite flavor? Any ideas for what I can add to make it a bit more appealing to 2-3 yo crowd? Their teacher said they've never had anyone bring in hummus...so I have no idea how this will be received.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would stick with the plain hummus. I think that will be fine and if they don't like it, they'll just have the pretzels.

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Plain hummus. My kids LOVE it.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They serve hummus at ds2's preschool. They serve it with veggies, pretzels or pita chips. I'd go with plain.

Sounds like I was the one off base here. I guess I'm really not a huge fan of the plain (at least not in the brand DH got) so I thought we'd jazz it up a bit...but I guess I'll just stick with plain.

Thanks for weighing in!
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS also prefers the plain, the flavored ones are too strong for him. It's one of our favorite snacks/lunches. We like the Sabra brand, some of the others are pretty blah. Maybe some veggies with it too. It's also supposed to be really easy to make hummus.

I personally prefer the jazzed up kind and DD does too, but she's been eating it since she was a baby & is used to it. When introducing hummus to a lot of kids who haven't eaten it...I'd probably start with the plain too.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

I would do plain hummus. My DS eats it just fine.
    Mommy to DS 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Momit View Post
    DS also prefers the plain, the flavored ones are too strong for him. It's one of our favorite snacks/lunches. We like the Sabra brand, some of the others are pretty blah. Maybe some veggies with it too. It's also supposed to be really easy to make hummus.
    I like Sabra, too, but DH got Athenos. I think because they didn't have plain Sabra in our store. I don't mind the flavored Athenos, but the plain is ok at best and chunkier/grittier than Sabra (I think kids tend to not care for the chunkier/grittier texture). Maybe I'll just run it through the food processor with a little tahini and lemon juice to smooth it out.

We've made hummus many times...I was thinking the store bought stuff would be easier. But if I'm going to process it, well, I should have just made it from scratch. It is easy.
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

for that age, I think plain will be the way to go for most kids. We love hummus, but at that age, our DD would get a red rash from hummus around her lips (the same thing happened with ranch dressing). Apparently it is not uncommon, just in case it happens at school. She doesn't get it any longer, but she would at that age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast