Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Do you have a bike?

I have been thinking about asking for a bike for Mother's Day but I don't really know anything about women's bikes. I love the look of beach cruisers but I don't think that's really practical since I live in an area that has hills. I don't see myself doing serious biking mainly just around the neighborhood and camping, etc.

Do you have a bike? Which brand is it and do you like it. Any specifics I should look for?

TIA
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds like you would do best with a hybrid bike. I got mine last year and I really like it. It's a Specialized brand woman's 26" bike I got at a bike shop.

Here are some Trek hybrids: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...reation/hybrid

Hybrid bikes are nice because they are a mix between road bikes/cruiser/mountain bikes. Mine has the more curviness of a cruiser, but I can take it on dirth paths, etc without a problem. It sits a bit more upright like a cruiser instead of hunched over like a mountain bike. It has a nice cushy seat and great shocks. It has gears that are very easy to switch as needed.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Specialized Crossroads Sport. I do like it a lot and find it perfect for the paved trail/street riding that I do. I pull a trailer with it too.

My suggestion is to go to a bike store and talk with them about your needs.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes, I have a cannondale Jekyll mountain bike with front and rear suspension and a cute little butterfly in the seat. It's too much bike for a mom, unless she's heading out into the bumpy rocky trails near our house with a friend.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I have had a Gary Fisher hybrid bike since 1999. I also considered a Cannondale at the time. I know Trek is good but they didn't fit me well. I test drove lots of bikes over about 4 hours one afternoon and liked this bike best. Then I had it customized to put a shock under the seat (these absorb bumps and make the ride a bit smoother), shocks are commonly put under handlebars.

This bike has taken a beating: long periods of rest where I don't ride, then months where I ride 60-150 miles/week. I ride on rails-to-trails so dirt/mud/gravel and sometimes a little snow. Ive taken it on two week long bike trips and I haven't had so much as a flat tire. Seriously good quality!
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

infocrazy is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

FWIW, I bought a plain old cheap Huffy. My thought process was that I would see how much I used it and if it was a lot, I'd get a nicer bike... Seven years later I am riding my perfectly good Huffy. I will say that I ONLY use it on my paved neighborhood with the kids.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have a Trek hybrid. I got it for less than $200 off craigslist. But do go to a bike shop if you or your DH don't know the mechanics of a bike well enough to make adjustments.

Or, you can buy a used bike, and any good bike shop will tune it up for you for $50ish. Just be sure to get the right size. http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questio...?questionid=63

DH & I go about once a month in to a rail trail - we have a trailer for the kids. We also take 1-2 biking camping trips per year. I also go around the neighborhood a bit, but the most fun I have is going with a partner.

Don't get a beach cruiser. Get something with 21 speeds. It really really helps with hills. I have no idea what I was doing at first, and I can't really describe how gears work now. But when you're riding, having lots of gears to work with is intuitive and really helpful.
    Last edited by wellyes; 04-23-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Another Gary Fisher Hybrid owner here! Love it!

You definitely want more than a beach cruiser if you have hills around you. A hybrid probably is the way to go. Like others have said, go to a bike shop, tell them what you're looking for, be realistic about what you want to spend, & they'll help guide you. & then test drive them! Ride different brands & sizes until you find one that "feels right."
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

We are a big bike family. I have 2. I have a Gary Fisher mountain (they are now owned by Trek) and a tri bike. I would definitely go to a bike store for a proper fitting. It can make a huge difference.

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Another with a simple bike used on mostly flat paved roads. Mine came from Walmart so nothing fancy or everlasting about mine, but it's cute and gets me where I need to go.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast