Default Maui with a toddler...need ideas for kid-friendly activities!

We are off to Maui in a week or so and will be staying on Kaanapali Beach (near the Black Rock). DH and I honeymooned in Maui, but obviously that was before we had DS. Every single activity I can think of involves hikes, dives, and good food from non-kid friendly restaurants. Any ideas for toddler-friendly activities that a 17-month old would enjoy? All I can think of right now is just hanging out by the pool (it has a cool pirate ship)...so please share if you have vacationed in Maui with a toddler and have additional ideas! TIA!

Maui has a great aquarium. Iao point is fun to walk around.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Ahh...thank you!! We go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium at least once a month since we live very close to it, so we might skip the Aquarium, but will definitely take DS to Iao Point. I remember that place...we checked it out right before we dropped off the rental car at the airport. I think it's in or near Paia.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really liked the aquarium, honestly, though I felt it was kind of pricey for the size. Of course, I am fairly spoiled by having the NY Aquarium and the NJ Adventure Aquarium close by ... and having visited the New England Aquarium in Boston & the National Aquarium in Baltimore. Those are huge!

The open tank with the sea turtles was my favorite part of the outdoor area and I really liked learning about the native culture in the walk-through areas.

I think there are a couple of discounts available, but you'd have to check their website: http://http://www.mauioceancenter.com/
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

We live near the Monterey Aquarium too so I can see why you would be hesitant to visit the Maui aquarium but if you can get a good deal on tickets the outside space with the turtles is really great. Buzz's Wharf is a classic restaurant in the shopping center behind it with amazing views.

Walking around Lahaina is always fun. You could consider taking the submarine ride from there. There is a magic show that could be an option depending on bedtime. Check out the free hula shows and lessons at various hotels.

Wailea is an easier walk in a fun open air mall with restaurants and galleries and enough fun child stuff for entertainment, like local Lapperts ice cream and toys. You could go out to Makenna and check out the black sand beach, but be careful there is a nude beach out there too. Easy walking in tide pools and dolphin and turtle spotting.

Kihei has open air roadside booths for walking around and stopping for shaved ice. If you need bribes keep Maui Cookwees (cookies) on hand.

Did you do the crater on your honeymoon? If so you might not want to repeat the trip but if not that's an easy place to walk around and could capture a little ones attention. Ditto the road to Hana if you skipped it last time, and only if you have a good little car traveler. If you pop in the guided audio tour it's pretty fun to stop and swim in the water falls, right off the road so no hiking, unlike the pools on the trip.

There are a few easy walking spots with great views to consider. If you have a good car napper you could plan out your day with trips and naps, stopping at restaurants or for picnic stops along the way. If you check out Hana or go up country lots of places have pre packed picnic meals on the go to buy.

Maui is pretty small so you can very easily check out the whole island if you're up for driving or just relax by the beach. Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedMamma View Post

Did you do the crater on your honeymoon? If so you might not want to repeat the trip but if not that's an easy place to walk around and could capture a little ones attention. Ditto the road to Hana if you skipped it last time, and only if you have a good little car traveler. If you pop in the guided audio tour it's pretty fun to stop and swim in the water falls, right off the road so no hiking, unlike the pools on the trip.
    Yes, we did the sunrise at Haleakala. It truly was an unforgettable experience despite how cold it was! I think this may be something we will do with DS actually...I forget how early we had to get up, but I think it will leave a lasting impression...maybe I will change my mind later, we shall see.

Thank you so much for all of your tips. Sadly, DS isn't a great car traveler and I get car sick easily, so I may just let DH do the Road to Hana with his sister, who is also joining us on this trip. I also just checked the Atlantis website, and it says that children must be a minimum of 36" in height to ride the submarine He is not quite that tall yet at 17 months. We will definitely check out Hula shows though and some of other attractions that you mentioned.

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have lunch at Hula Grill so DS can play in the sand

Rent a boogie board with a viewing port, so he can see the fish without putting his head in the water

Go to the library (under the banyan tree)

Look at the macaws by Pioneer Inn

Play at a park

Skip Haleakala with DS. He's too young to care and the car trip will be unpleasant

Go to Surfing Goat Dairy so he can see the goats.

Go to Baby Beach (Lahaina) or Olawalu for surf-free beach time

Play Glo Golf if he can handle a club

Have brunch at Plantation House (birds fly through the open windows)

Quote Originally Posted by Zansu View Post
    Have lunch at Hula Grill so DS can play in the sand

Rent a boogie board with a viewing port, so he can see the fish without putting his head in the water

Go to the library (under the banyan tree)

Look at the macaws by Pioneer Inn

Play at a park

Skip Haleakala with DS. He's too young to care and the car trip will be unpleasant

Go to Surfing Goat Dairy so he can see the goats.

Go to Baby Beach (Lahaina) or Olawalu for surf-free beach time

Play Glo Golf if he can handle a club

Have brunch at Plantation House (birds fly through the open windows)
    great ideas, thanks!!