Default Sacramento--where to stay etc, help! UPDATE #10

We have an extremely loud around the clock construction project happening over a weekendnear us soon. By coincidence a friend of ours is going to be in
    Sacramento that weekend. So we are thinking of just going over and staying for the weekend. We will have lunch or dinner with her and maybe try to catch a Rivercats game.

Suggestions for where to stay? Restaurants? Other things to do? (Zoo? Fairytale land? We just went to the train museum on our way to Tahoe last Friday)

Ds is eight and dd is two.

Thanks!
    Catherine
    Last edited by crl; 04-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Fairytale Town is fun, and free, you can kill a good hour there. The Zoo is right across the street. You can easily do the two in an afternoon.

I would stay at the Embassy Suites in Downtown because you can walk to the stadium. It is right over the Tower Bridge. Downtiwn Sac shuts down a lot on the weekends and off the top of my head there aren't a whole lot of kid friendly recs. in the area. During the week the area caters to legislators, state employees, attorneys, lobbyists, and accountants. I really liked The Tower Cafe on Broadway and 15th Streets. The Fox & Goose is popular for breakfast, but it's always crowded. It gets more family friendly once you head towards midtown, but then you might as well drive 10 miles west to Davis where there is a lot more family friendly stuff. Things have probably changed a lot in the 7 yrs. since I have been there so I might do a family friendly search on yelp.com. The downtown zip code is 95814. Midtown is 95818 or 95819. Davis is 95776.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thank you!

Catherine

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We stayed in a really nice, almost brand new Staybridge Suites up there one time. It was the Natomas location.

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We really liked the Le Rivage hotel. We stayed there last April.
    http://www.lerivagehotel.com/index.php
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Thanks you all! I booked a one bedroom suite at the Embassy Suites. Dh is working on Rivercats tickets for us.

I think we may spend part of one day just letting the kids mess around by the river, lol. Ds already has a life vest, but I need to get one for dd.

Catherine

I don't think Fairytale Town is free but is pretty cheap. Zoo is across the street. Don't forget Funderland right in the same (walking distance) area too. Funderland is free to get in but the rides cost tickets. I would second Tower Cafe. Also, for snacks, one of my favorite bakeries is Freeport Bakery. And local homemade ice cream at Vic's. All these are within a 5-10 minute drive of each other. Depending on how old your kids are, you might also want to check out the State Capitol, Sutter's Fort and the Crocker Art Museum. Have fun!
    Mommy to DS 2007

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I think we may spend part of one day just letting the kids mess around by the river, lol. Ds already has a life vest, but I need to get one for dd.

Catherine
    Not sure that would be a really good thing to do because the water this time of year will still be pretty cold. Discovery Park will have the easiest water access though. Both Costco, and Target have life jackets right now though.

Quote Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
    I don't think Fairytale Town is free but is pretty cheap. Zoo is across the street. Don't forget Funderland right in the same (walking distance) area too. Funderland is free to get in but the rides cost tickets. I would second Tower Cafe. Also, for snacks, one of my favorite bakeries is Freeport Bakery. And local homemade ice cream at Vic's. All these are within a 5-10 minute drive of each other. Depending on how old your kids are, you might also want to check out the State Capitol, Sutter's Fort and the Crocker Art Museum. Have fun!
    You are right Fairytale Town is $4, but each time we've ever gone we've gotten combo tickets from the Zoo so I always forget it isn't free.

We haven't been yet, but there is a Children's Museum in Sacramento too that is suppose to be fun. Also the Sacramento Central Library on 8th and I is pretty nice.

Freeport Bakery is good, but Marie's Donuts on Freeport will be way more kid friendly. Just remembered that if you like Mexican food check out El Noviellero, it is on Franklin Blvd., and 13th Avenue (not the best part of town, but not the worst either and it is lighted and they have a nice big parking lot). My favorite Chinese place (although it probably doesn't compare much to what you have in your area) is New Station on Broadway and 18th (I think, it's right next to a Chevron station).
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Not sure that would be a really good thing to do because the water this time of year will still be pretty cold. Discovery Park will have the easiest water access though. Both Costco, and Target have life jackets right now though.

).
    We were ther last weekend on the way to Tahoe and walked over from the park in River Park. There were a bunch of kids there and ours wanted desperately to join in, but they didn't have life jackets and I didn't want wet, muddy kids for the rest of the car ride. Too cold to swim, I'm sure, but the weather is I think they'd enjoy mucking about.

Catherine

Thanks everyone!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, which was quite nice. It was a great location for us as dh, ds and our friend were able to walk to the Rivercats game and we were all able to walk to Old Town for lunch and such.

We ended up just doing a park, the hotel pool, the Rivercats game and the zoo. The Rivercats game was a big hit and we enjoyed the zoo as well.

Catherine