Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Are pacifier clips safe for daycare?

I go back to work and DD starts daycare in a couple weeks (*wimper*). Right now, DD uses Soothies throughout the day, but she's pretty bad about spitting them out/not keeping them in her mouth. So far, it's not been that big of an issue -- we're either at home and it's easy to clean and/or grab a new one, or we're out and I'm wearing her and it falls between us and stays off the floor. But, I think it might be a bigger issue at daycare, so I was considering a pacifier clip. We've never used one with DD so far because I know they can be a safety hazard, especially at night in a crib by themselves. One one hand, I feel like it might be okay at daycare, as there is always someone in the same room with her. On the other hand, the teachers are responsible for multiple children, so something could still happen. What do you guys think? I know I'm over thinking this, but I'm starting to get a bit panicky and paranoid about leaving DD at daycare (even though I know it's a good, safe place, etc.).
    Lizi

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ask the daycare if they have a policy regarding paci clips.

It's OK to ask things like that; they should be able to answer it.

Frankly, I'd skip it. Daycares usually don't allow shoes in the infants' rooms, so the floors are probably fairly clean.

If you're still paranoid, send paci wipes. The First Years makes the ones I used, but I'm sure there are other brands:

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Year...5554517&sr=1-3
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Ask the daycare if they have a policy regarding paci clips.

It's OK to ask things like that; they should be able to answer it.

Frankly, I'd skip it. Daycares usually don't allow shoes in the infants' rooms, so the floors are probably fairly clean.

If you're still paranoid, send paci wipes. The First Years makes the ones I used, but I'm sure there are other brands:

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Year...5554517&sr=1-3
    The daycare does allow paci clips, it's my choice if we use them. And you're right, the floors should be pretty clean b/c they require shoe covers in the room.

But to clarify, I'm more concerned the paci clip may be dangerous than worried about germs/a dirty paci.....(hmmm, maybe that answers my own question....)
    Lizi

We have been using paci clips for close to six months and I did not realize they could be a safety hazard? We have had no issues. I think they work great for daycare.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Kids at my daycare use them and I wouldn't have an issue with it. I think it's easier for the teachers to keep track of her paci. I don't expect nighttime sleeping alone in a crib type practices while my kids are at daycare, since it's day and they are always supervised.

I did see a mom of a 7 mo in DDs room pick her daughter's paci and clip up and wash it because it hit the floor while she was crawling. I was thinking "first time mom" in my head because I just can't imagine being that worried about germs for too long. Our daycare does not make parents remove shoes in the baby room either, although teachers usually do.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

mark me as another who used paci clips all over, except on the playground.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10