Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default HELP DH hates new puppy

My DH was all excited to get our new puppy who we have had for 5 days. He never had animals as a kid. Now that we have the dog he is changed his mind. He is so mean about the whole thing. Meanwhile my kids and I are attached. I cry thinking about getting rid of it but dealing with DH is awful.

WWYD?

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What is it about the puppy that he doesn't like? If it's behavioral, maybe we can make some training/puppy raising suggestions that would help alleviate some of the issues?

Or has he just decided he doesn't want a dog? If so, it's pretty shameful that he came to this decision after adopting the pup.

This sounds like an awful situation for you, your kids, and the puppy. I'm sorry.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It is quite an adjustment to get a new puppy. Especially if he's never had one. I'm curious to know if it is behavioral or if he just didn't/hasn't bonded with the dog. I'd try to give it time to see if he comes around and gets used to it.

If it's behavioral that is pretty easy to fix. But if it is a personality clash ... that may be harder. I say this from experience. I love dogs, we had two until we lost one in Dec. But, I barely tolerate my mom's dog. There is just something about him that rubs me the wrong way.

Good luck!
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

For an adult to be mean to his family about an obligation he agreed to accept is pretty damn low.

Puppies are a lot of work, and I've heard the adjustment can be nearly as tough as bringing a new baby into the house. Tell him to give it time. If it's a very young dog, the 'duty' aspects of it are bound to get easier.

What kind of dog is it? If it's a personality clash, that can definitely be tough. Some guys just dislike small 'yappy' dogs. Rehoming might be a necessarily solution. I'm sorry.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The first few days with a puppy can be a lot like the first few days with a newborn, and many people do wonder "what did I get myself into?" Puppies are also a lot more work than a mature dog - maybe you and the kids can do most of the training and care while your DH adjusts to the new family member? And definitely a puppy class, which is often as much about training the owner as it is training the puppy.

The puppy is a gold ret. and is doing really well. He stays in his crate and goes to the bathroom when I take him out. No accidents yesterday. I am taking care of everything. He isn't trying to bond with the dog at all. I really don't know what he expected he just says he changed his mind and doesn't want a dog. He doesn't like the smell and it going to the bathroom in the house.
    Last edited by ray7694; 04-23-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add

I suggest crate training and I'll leave it up to you whether that's for the puppy or your husband.

Catherine

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    For an adult to be mean to his family about an obligation he agreed to accept is pretty damn low.

Puppies are a lot of work, and I've heard the adjustment can be nearly as tough as bringing a new baby into the house. Tell him to give it time. If it's a very young dog, the 'duty' aspects of it are bound to get easier.

Yes, it can be tough, but it sounds like your DH was pushing for the dog and has done a total turnaround. Your DH is being a jerk. Fortunately, if it comes to having to get rid of the dog, goldens are such a well-loved breed that it should be easy to rehome him. But boo on your DH - you and your kids shouldn't be put through that!
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I suggest crate training and I'll leave it up to you whether that's for the puppy or your husband.

Catherine
    BWAAAA!!!
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

I feel so stuck. I want to wait it out to see if he adjusts but will that make it even harder on myself and kids the longer we have it? My DH never does well with change.

This is really affecting me. I can't stop crying.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast