flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Should my 4 1/2 month old be rolling over?

I have to admit, I am pretty bad at enforcing tummy time. She does a lot on my knees and maybe a few minutes a day on the floor tummy time. She hasn't rolled over or even tried. She lifts her head well and is starting to use her arms to prop up. Have I just not given her enough opportunity on the floor to think of rolling? Is this very late not to roll? Her back and neck are strong and she can keep her head level or even forward when I pull her up from laying on her back.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She'll do it in her own time. Try not to stress!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    Definitely this!

DS1 rolled regularly before he was 3 mo. DS2 still doesn't roll often and he is 7 mo (though we know he can do it). I don't think he rolled until closer to 4 - 4 1/2 mo for the first time and we're usually pretty good about tummy time.

Each does their own thing in their own time.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    It was was somewhere around 5months before the belly to back roll over and another 2-3 weeks before back to belly. Then she would roll all over the place - from one end of the room to another! Get ready

Each kid is different.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS1 absolutely hated tummy time. The only times he would roll over were belly-to-back (we called it "escape from tummy time") and that wasn't until at least 6 months. He was sitting unsupported at 6 months though and finally was ok with tummy time & rolling back to front around 8 months. Didn't crawl until 9.5 months, which was just fine with me!

Adding: He walked at 13 months and is totally fine with all gross motor stuff (though not very graceful, but given his genetics, I'd be shocked if he was!)
    Last edited by legaleagle; 04-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.

I've still never seen my dd roll from belly to back. She is 7 months and Crawls everywhere! I'm not worried. She rolled from her back to her belly around 4 months and then was sitting shortly after that.
    She crawled across the room at 6 months 3 weeks.
    I'm really not concerned at all and as the pp said every baby does it on their own time.

For what it's worth, my dd also received little tummy time. She spit up All.The.Time. so I could never put her on her stomach. That's why, I'm assuming, she never rolled from stomach to back.