mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Turn now or wait till after trip?

DS, at 3.5, is approaching the 35 lb. weight limit for rear-facing in both of our car seats. He is consistently weighing in at between 33.8 and 34.7 lbs (depending on what he's eaten/time of day, etc.). In about 1.5 weeks, we'll be taking a trip which will involve about nine hours of driving each direction. DS is still comfortable rear-facing and he's always been a good traveler on our long car trips. On a recent trip, though, we did forward face him (we were flying, and it was easier to FF with our travel car seat) and he did fine that way too, but that was only for shorter trips (an hour tops). So, experienced Mamas, should we turn him now or wait till we return from our trip (so about 3 weeks from now)? Thanks!
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If he is still comfortable rear facing I would continue it for the trip. One thing to consider is what time of day you will be traveling. One factor for turning DS on a trip was we were traveling at night and DS was super sensitive to the head lights being in his eyes.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Rear facing is safer so since you are logging lots of hours in the car, keep rf

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We're going through the same dilemma. We're planning a road trip in July, but need to turn DS (turns 4 in Sept) around anyway in October when baby #3 comes. Personally, I'm leaning towards turning him before the road trip, but I know many people here wouldn't agree with me. I'm taking more of a "I'm proud of myself for coming this far" approach to it.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think you can safely keep him RF for the trip, he'll probably doze much better in the RF position (as an aside, we need to get together one of these days!!!)

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I might keep him RF since it's such a long drive. His legs will be more comfortable in RF than dangling in FF for so many hours. He'll also sleep better, since Rf is a bit more reclined, so less head flopping.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is usually FFing but when we travel I flip her RFing. Its just easier for us and safer. Last time we traveled she road RFing for the long haulof the trip then FF while we were there and then started the ride home FFing but got turned RFing at a rest stop around naptime. Just practice installing both ways and do what feels best as the trip progresses.

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies! I think we'll leave him rear-facing for this trip and then turn him when we get back.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

RF'ing since they sleep soooo much better!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)