Default Sharing a breast pump OK??

I've been reading my recent edition of Baby Bargains and read a couple of places where they DO NOT recommend using a "second-hand personal pump". Does this also apply to borrowing (long-term aka I'd be the only user during specified several-month time) a close friend's or relative's, even if I buy a new collection kit? If it's really bad to share, I will just suck it up and buy my own, but really trying to save money. I work full-time so will be needing to pump daily once I go back to work to keep up enough supply for feedings while I'm away. Any advice or perspective will be appreciated. Thank you!!

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My best friend and I shared pumps through six kids. I had no problem sharing with her. I don't think I would buy a second hand one.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

as long as you have your own plastic bits, like you said.

i'm sure there are differences, but i borrowed a pis (older model) from a good friend. there was *no way* for there to be any mixing, even with major back-up, just from the way it was designed, so i felt the 'never share' advice was a bit overcautious.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Depends on the brand. If it's a Medela (nonhospital grade), I wouldn't. Milk can get in the tubes and then the motor. I have a friend who only has been pumping a couple months and already has mentioned having issues getting milk in the tubing. Just because the tubing is new, there is nothing seperating the tubing from the machine.

An Ameda or Lansinoh pump have closed systems so there is something that separates the tubes from the machine. In that case, I wouldn't feel as bad about sharing, but those pumps are a lot cheaper than Medela too so you may just be better off buying one of them.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Interestingly, there was a thread about this earlier today:
    http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=432170

Personally, I don't see how in the world milk can get into the tubing with the PIS or the Freestyle. I used it for 16 months, and never had a problem. I can't speak for other models. As a poster said in the other board, if there's a documented case of an infection from a second-hand pump I think it would be fairly big news (any chance to show a "bad mother" is usually big news).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree that although the PIS isn't technically a closed system, I wouldn't have any problem sharing w/ someone I know well (so I know they're healthy). But if you're going to be working full time, consider how much the pump has been used already and make sure the motor is still strong....if you're borrowing one that's already been well-used (i.e - from another working mom who's used it for multiple kids) just make sure the suction/performance is still strong or you're setting yourself up for frustration and long/ineffective pumping sessions.
    Lizi

Thanks ladies - I'm considering using my sister-in-law's Pump In Style. It was new last year and she used it only for 4 months. I'm thinking I should be safe... I keep changing my mind. hah!! But, the almost $300 price tag to buy a new one makes me lean way more towards borrowing. Also, I will be going back to work full-time so I do need the double-electric which is more expensive by nature to buy.

Anyone know where to buy replacement parts for the PIS?

I had an Ameda PY from my cousin and it survived 2 additional kids (she has 2) and I pumped 3-4/day. So those motors seem pretty strong.

I bought my replacement kits on-line, either eBay (there are small businesses that sell brand new unopened kids) or random sites found via Google. FYI, you might consider getting a few kits. I had 3: 1 in the office, 1 at home, and 1 extra. The parts also technically "wear out" so when you notice a decrease in output, you might consider replacing the kits before you freak out about reduced supply. I also cracked a horn after bringing them back and forth from home/work (which is why I bought 3 sets with DD2).

Good luck!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I personally would use a PIS lent to me by someone I know & trust. I would have faith that person doesn't have any sort of health condition that could be transmittable (even though the odds of transmission with a PIS would be very very low).

However, I wouldn't use one from a stranger. I don't think it is legal to sell used breast pumps in my state; consignment sales won't take them.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd have zero reservations borrowing a pump from a trusted family member or friends. None whatsoever. I wouldn't buy any pump used off of craigslist or ebay, but borrow one from someone I knew...absolutely.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!