Default S/O backseat car organization

I'm spinning off my own thread. I need help with something that will hold things in the backseat for dc. We have a 2005 Nissan Quest. DCs are ff in Marathons in the second row. The seats are captains chairs so there is a walk way in between them to the 3rd row.

I can't figure out a good way to keep anything within reach for them to store books, toys, etc. They can't reach the seat in front of them. They can't reach the floor. I don't need the walkway, so if there was something that could elevate a basket or something back there that would not be a hazard in a crash, I would love to know what it is.

What do those of you with captains seats do for your dc's toys when there is nothing in the space to sit things on?
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I bought this soft sided cube that has a zippered top at IKEA that i'm using in my Armada's cargo area to store my workout weights, extra towel, umbrella, shopping bags, etc. I think it would perfect for toys!

This is it! Flort box
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50166917/
    Finally #2 due April 17, 2015

DS - 8.22.08
    allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts
    outgrew wheat!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a 2006 Quest and I had some 31 totes that I used. I had a smaller Organizing Utility Tote that I kept between the middle row seats that held their toys, books, colors, etc. And I had a Large Utility Tote in the back where i kept my yoga mat, first aid kit, outdoor blanket, neck pillow, trays, etc in the back. It's also a great tote for the pool - I can put snacks, drinks all our towels and some floaties/toys in one back.

I traded in my '06 for a 2012 Quest in January - and I can't tell you how much better it is!! I had a top of the line Quest before, and got another top of the line one. And it's seriously night and day between the 2. I have storage for everything I just listed and so much more in the stow away area in the back. Love it. Just so you know if/when you are ready to get rid of the '05.

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    I had a 2006 Quest and I had some 31 totes that I used. I had a smaller Organizing Utility Tote that I kept between the middle row seats that held their toys, books, colors, etc. And I had a Large Utility Tote in the back where i kept my yoga mat, first aid kit, outdoor blanket, neck pillow, trays, etc in the back. It's also a great tote for the pool - I can put snacks, drinks all our towels and some floaties/toys in one back.

I traded in my '06 for a 2012 Quest in January - and I can't tell you how much better it is!! I had a top of the line Quest before, and got another top of the line one. And it's seriously night and day between the 2. I have storage for everything I just listed and so much more in the stow away area in the back. Love it. Just so you know if/when you are ready to get rid of the '05.
    So, how did you put it up high enough in between the seats so the kids could reach it? If I sit it between the seats on the ground, they can't get to it. I need something to elevate the storage so they can reach it. Maybe a milk crate type thing to sit a basket or tote on?
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    So, how did you put it up high enough in between the seats so the kids could reach it? If I sit it between the seats on the ground, they can't get to it. I need something to elevate the storage so they can reach it. Maybe a milk crate type thing to sit a basket or tote on?
    I didn't. My kids don't really play with toys while in the car much. Weird I know. I kept books in the pouch behind the passenger seat, and if they wanted a book, I could reach that and give them one.

You could put something back there like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minivan-Console-Grey/16817488 but if I remember correctly, isn't there a little "step up" in the middle of the console area? So not sure if this would work or not.

The new ones have a removable middle row console, which I love.