Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which cake size would you get?

This is for DC's birthday. We will have 27 adults and 27 kids(all are 6 yrs old or under). Which cake size should I get? 1/4 or 1/2 sheet? There will also be pizza.

Chocolate for vanilla? DC likes Chocolate, but I think majority of people like vanilla.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For 54 people, I would say a half sheet, if not a whole. What does the bakery say about how many people it serves?

I know people get half chocolate half vanilla around here, then you don't have to decide. I always think more people like chocolate.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

I would go with a 1/2 or even a full sheet for that many people. According to our grocery store bakery (I was just looking at cakes for DD1's 1st Communion, though I wound up baking it myself) a 1/4 sheet serves 15-18, a 1/2 sheet serves 30-36 and a full sheet serves 60-72. I would also do half white, half chocolate in whichever size you choose.

For my extended family I would go with the 1/2 sheet cake because we *always* have a lot of leftover cake if I order enough according to the serving suggestions, because everyone in my family is always on a diet.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Definitely 1/2sheet and go with just chocolate if you can't do half and half. We only eat chocolate so I tend to get what we like since we get stuck with leftovers.
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would get a minumum a 1/2 sheet. We usually go with 1/2 chocolate 1/2 white and that keeps everyone happy.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Half or full.

I usually get a marble cake. At least around here that is commonly a choice. Otherwise I'd go chocolate.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

When in doubt, small is out. 1/4 doesn't even come close to covering it.

1/4 Sheet Cake, 9″ x 12″, serves 12-28
    1/2 Sheet Cake, 11″ x 15″, serves 18-40
    Full Sheet Cake, 18″ x 24″, serves 48-108.

You have FIFTY FOUR people. Half are kids, and kids will starve just to eat cake.

You need a full.

I'd get 1/4 vanilla and 3/4 chocolate.

I'm no help on size, but I'd get both if you can. For ds' fourth birthday I got chocolate and a strawberry filled cake. Dh thought I was nuts because everyone would eat the chocolate (I hated chocolate cake as a child and was early on taught to say no thank you and just not get cake so I always make sure there is a non-chocolate option). I think two people ate the chocolate and fifteen ate the strawberry option. I think a lot of people don't like chocolate cake all that much.

Catherine

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

1/4 is too small. At least a half if not a whole. I always get 1 layer of chocolate and the 2nd layer of yellow cake with buttercream frosting.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would do half a sheet. Kids under 6 aren't going to eat much so you could cut the pieces small. I would also do vanilla over chocolate. Another cool option is cupcake cakes. Vons/Safeway here sells them.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast