Default Minnesota Zoo vs Como zoo - wwyd?

We'll be passing through MSP on a road trip this summer, and want to make a zoo stop. We've been to Como 3-4 times before, and it always makes me rather sad to see the animals in such small spaces. (I'm using to the Woodland Park Zoo and similar) Because of that, I'm leaning towards the Minnesota Zoo, but it definitely is pricey. It will be me and my 3 kids, my sister and her kids (ages 2 and 3.5) and our parents. We can spend the whole day there, or just a few hours - our schedule is really flexible. Which would you choose? Thanks!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

I go to Como once or twice a year, and agree that the animals are in small enclosures

We have a membership at the MN zoo and I try to go often. I like it there because there's lots to do, they've recently installed a nice splash pad and a nice new playground that's really clean. And we almost always try to see the bird show or dolphin show.

If you go on a nice day and can use the park/splash pad, see a show and walk around and see the exhibits, I would say that would be a full day.

I think it might be cheaper to have the grandparents get a membership for $110 - that will cover them plus all the grandkids and parking. So probably $150 for all of you for the day.

ETA - just did the math, a membership wouldn't be cheaper. It should be about $100 for you to go for the day
    Last edited by roobee; 04-11-2012 at 05:28 PM.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mn zoo all the way. Do you have a membership at your local zoo. The mn zoo is part of a national consortium, and you should be able to get 50% off or more of your admission.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Mn zoo all the way. Do you have a membership at your local zoo. The mn zoo is part of a national consortium, and you should be able to get 50% off or more of your admission.
    Unfortunately, the city we live in has no zoo - the nearest one is 5 hours away. I wish we did! My sister has a membership to the zoo in her city though, so I'll pass that along to her. Thanks!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

MN Zoo. We are members, and go all the time. I like the variety of animals at the Como Zoo, but I think the whole place is depressing. It is free and close to our house, but we rarely ever go because I can't stand seeing the animals in those types of facilities. I also don't like the risk of having the kids see the rides and having to redirect away from them.