Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Heading to Brandon, Vermont and NE in June - Need tips

We will be traveling to Vermont in late June so that my DC can treat with a well respected pediatric Lyme doctor. It took quite a bit of research to find the best fit, and a doctor who did not have a year wait. A huge bonus is that this doctor accepts our insurance too.

I will be booking flights today. We were planning on spending a few days up in the NE, but I am not sure what we would want to see/do.

The closest airport is Burlington (about an hour north). Albany, NY is a couple hours away and Boston is about 3 hours away.

Any tips on where to stay? What would be fun to see while we are there?

Thanks in advance!!

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

All of our friends who have been to the new Pump House at Jay Peak have *raved* about it.

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/#/water_park/

it's kind of a haul to get there, though.

there are the classic VT things like Ben & Jerry's and the Cabot cheese factory. Shelburne Farms is great.

If your family is into history, you won't be far from Fort Ticonderoga.

Glad you found a doctor to treat your DC as early as June.

good luck!
    marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

Lucky you! NE in the summer is beautiful! As someone who grew up in western NY, I would definitely NOT go to Albany- it's not nearly as scenic and doesn't have as much to do as NE, or even the Adirondacks. I would concentrate on VT, and maybe NH or MA if you fee like you have the time to travel further. If you'd like to see NY/the ADK, Lake George isn't too far away and has lots of fun stuff to do. And I agree with the previous suggestion of Ft. Ticonderoga, it's fun.

My family vacationed a lot in VT while I was growing up. It's been awhile, but I remember thinking Woodstock and Stowe were lovely. I almost went to Middlebury for college, and it's a really cute town. Honestly, the whole state of VT is incredibly scenic. You could spend several days just driving around admiring the cuteness of it all. Maybe see if there are any local festivals going on while you're there and go to enjoy the local flavor? Also, you could look for some easy hiking/walking trails if you think DS would be up for it.

If you decide to drive further to the coast, Boston an environs are great for families. Tons to don (Freedom Trail, Duck Tour, Red Sox game, side trips to Salem, Lexington, etc.).

I'm jealous about your trip! Have fun!

liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second sticking around VT or heading over to Lake George in NY. You can also take a ferryacross Lake Champlain. If any of your kids are fans of the Loch Ness Monster, they'll be thrilled that Lake Champlain has its own version. There are several theme and water parks in Lake George.

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We almost went to Stowe last summer for vacation but ended up in the white mountains in nh instead so I would definitely suggest Stowe. I also wanted to suggest flying into Manchester nh. Its a nice airport and they have more flights than Burlington. I know they have jetblue.

Congratulations on getting an appointment in June. I hope your family is feeling better soon. And if yiu come to Boston or NH maybe we can do a bbb meetup.

Jen

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by liamsmom View Post
    I second sticking around VT or heading over to Lake George in NY. You can also take a ferryacross Lake Champlain. If any of your kids are fans of the Loch Ness Monster, they'll be thrilled that Lake Champlain has its own version. There are several theme and water parks in Lake George.
    GREAT news on finding a Dr. Melbel!

liamsmom, curious, what other water parks are there? always looking for great adventures/new things to do/see
    Last edited by calv; 05-05-2012 at 11:00 AM.

liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calv View Post

liamsmom, curious, what other water parks are there? always looking for great adventures/new things to do/see
    Off the top of my head, there is one at the Great Escape (now Six Flags) and Water Slide World. I think there are a few others in the area. It always seems like there are many that are constantly advertised all summer long. Do live nearby, calv?

Not Liamsmom, but I know that there is Great Escape in Lake George Village. Not sure of any others.

As for VT- Burlington has the VT Teddy Bear Company that you can tour and see how they make the bears. There are lots of outdoors type things, like taking the lift up Killington and then walking to the very top. Perfect for a beautiful outdoor afternoon. Burlington often has people hang gliding off mountains which is fun to just pull off the road to watch. Lake Bomoseen is beautiful- great for swimming, fishing and boating and lots of rental homes along it.

The Lake George NY area is about 1.5-2 hours out of Burlington and is beautiful as well. Historic Ticonderoga at the North end of a 32 mile long lake and touristy Lake George Village at the south end. Not sure how your dr appts will work, but you might want to think about a place like Silver Bay Association which is a YMCA Conference Center. Depending on when you go, there are family weeks when there would be lots of ongoing activities for your kids as well as stuff for the adults. http://www.silverbay.org/

I am still thinking of more, may post again.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you for all of the great tips. Considering that we will likely be returning for treatment, I love that we have a range of different options to explore. Maybe my kids will finally see snow this winter! Jaypeak resort looks like a winner for this trip.

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Come visit Boston! There are a ton of things to do. We can show you around
    So glad you found a doctor! Hope this is the start of great things in your treatment.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast