niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Camping - cooking gear

We're going camping with DS's class, thankfully there's several families so we should be able to borrow things if we need to. We're sharing the meals, so we only have to help with one breakfast (any ideas for 50 people for breakfast when camping?)

I do want to pick up a couple of things so we have a camping kit.

We have
    complete set of picnic plates/utensils for 2 people, was going to pick up another 2 sets.
    Frying pan
    set of camping pots that are stackable and have folding handles, but none is really big
    big plastic mixing bowl
    toaster sticks for marshmallows
    dish pan
    whisk
    wooden spoon
    2 cutting boards
    dishtowels
    oven mits.

I'll pack my regular knife that I use for everything, Scissors, matches, detergent, scourer.

Need to get
    can opener
    egg flipper
    2 sets of bowls/plates/utensils/mugs

Should I try to get a bigger saucepan? Just a regular cooking one. I don't want to use my good pans, but can you buy a one off?

Thanks.

Any other kitchen things you're glad you had?

I posted on your other breakfast thread already but for pots I don't use a ton when I camp. We have one small saucepan that we cook say soup or mac n cheese in & heat up water in. I have a Lodge Dutch oven that the lid doubles as a skillet and then you have the big pot. (it's a nice price too and works great: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LEXR0K/...leryoutudow-20 ) I use the skillet lid a ton too. We bring one smaller non-stick type pan with us too because some things are just easier on that.

Don't know if you drink coffee/tea/hot chocolate but we have some cups for those with us since we are coffee drinkers. I have some flat melamine platter type things for putting hamburgers or other foods from the grill onto if need be. Salt/pepper/seasonings. I have a nice camping set that has it all combined into one shaker thing with lids. Besides plates I always have bowls for the boys. I have table cloths and use the clips to keep them from flying away. Lysol wipes for sure come in handy. Aluminum foil / ziploc bags are a must.

Can't think of the rest offhand would have to pull out the packing list!
    Have fun!! We are quite a ways off still from camping weather sadly.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I find that thrift stores are a great place to buy a pan or pot for camping.

Breakfast for 50 while camping? Easiest is probably oatmeal packets and berries. Unless you have a big camp stove and griddle, pancakes or eggs would be tricky. You can cook breakfast sausages at home and the put in bags in the ice chest and then reheat. Oatmeal bars would be a good make ahead.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Quote Originally Posted by endlessheather View Post
    I posted on your other breakfast thread already but for pots I don't use a ton when I camp. We have one small saucepan that we cook say soup or mac n cheese in & heat up water in. I have a Lodge Dutch oven that the lid doubles as a skillet and then you have the big pot. (it's a nice price too and works great: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LEXR0K/...leryoutudow-20 ) I use the skillet lid a ton too. We bring one smaller non-stick type pan with us too because some things are just easier on that.

Don't know if you drink coffee/tea/hot chocolate but we have some cups for those with us since we are coffee drinkers. I have some flat melamine platter type things for putting hamburgers or other foods from the grill onto if need be. Salt/pepper/seasonings. I have a nice camping set that has it all combined into one shaker thing with lids. Besides plates I always have bowls for the boys. I have table cloths and use the clips to keep them from flying away. Lysol wipes for sure come in handy. Aluminum foil / ziploc bags are a must.

Can't think of the rest offhand would have to pull out the packing list!
    Have fun!! We are quite a ways off still from camping weather sadly.
    THanks for the list. I have that lodge dutch oven. We only have a small coleman cooking stove, so I don't know if it'll be too heavy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    I find that thrift stores are a great place to buy a pan or pot for camping.

Breakfast for 50 while camping? Easiest is probably oatmeal packets and berries. Unless you have a big camp stove and griddle, pancakes or eggs would be tricky. You can cook breakfast sausages at home and the put in bags in the ice chest and then reheat. Oatmeal bars would be a good make ahead.
    Thrift store, what a great idea.

We have 5 smaller camp stoves - think the coleman 2 burner stoves. I suppose they could all do a pan of pancakes each and make smaller ones. I'm trying to help DH, but 2 of the other parents own restaurants, so I"m hoping they come up with an idea.