Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Prom dress for 6'5" girl

I'm looking for a friend. Can anyone point me to a resource, brick and mortar or online, for a prom dress that will accommodate a 6'5" girl? I made some suggestions, like Torrid (and then take it in) and cocktail length, but if anyone has a resource, I'd appreciate it. It's for an Ethiopian girl whose father can't afford it, so my friend is buying it for her. They're in Spokane, Washington.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Maybe try David's bridal.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try looking at bridesmaid dresses. Some can be ordered with extra length (for a fee). Although if you need it soon, I'm not suer how feasible that will be.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Max budget? Style/color preference? If I had to guess, I'd look at jewel tones (jade green, sapphire blue, coral orange, etc.) to complement her skin & hair, but someone with experience can correct me if I am wrong.

Some designers are cut longer (i.e. - the fit models for Maggie Sotero, the wedding dress company, are 5'9") so those might be good.

Torrid is hit-or-miss, frankly, and I really don't like a lot of their things. Taking it in might destroy the garment, actually, because too much of it is cheap.

Something like this might be a start:

http://www.promgirl.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-PD737698

I got mine at Macy's, but it was a good 4" shorter than it "should" have been and I'm only 5'8"! My step-sisters' dresses were special-order, probably from a prom-specific site. Theirs involved a LOT of alterations - they're petite & busty - so they ended up costing over $400 each. That's an awful lot to spend on a prom dress, IMO.

Also, I found this guide to shopping for dresses to fit a taller girl:

http://www.tallclothingmall.com/Tall_Prom_Dresses.html
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She seems to be in a last mninute hurry, that's the bad part. So, I'm not sure if she hopes to walk in off the rack (I did mention David's Bridal), or if she has time to order. Trying to nail that down. If she has to go off the rack, oooh golly.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    She seems to be in a last mninute hurry, that's the bad part. So, I'm not sure if she hopes to walk in off the rack (I did mention David's Bridal), or if she has time to order. Trying to nail that down. If she has to go off the rack, oooh golly.
    P&PT's to her, then.

David's Bridal is, I think, cut for women who are 5'6" so it may be a bust.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Does she want an ankle length dress? It seems like many girls do not now- when I see kids out on prom nights, many of the dresses are really short. One solution is to buy a dress with a long skirt (that would be long on a 5'5" girl) and have a seamstress shorten it to a flattering length- tea, or just below or above the knee.

If she wants a ankle length dress, a special order may be the only way to go or just going to the store and seeing which of the longest styles have the most length to work with. 6'5" is a whole different kind of tall for women, as it is 6-9 inches taller than what most designers consider tall for women.

Spokane has a lot of seamstresses and alterations shops that work for very reasonable prices and could likely get the work done in a day or so, especially if told what it is for.
    Last edited by kijip; 05-07-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

It seems to me her best option is to get a longer dress off the rack and have it shortened to cocktail length. A good seemstress could get that done in a day or two if they need it this weekend they should hit the stores now.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd consider just going to a seamstress and having it made from scratch. it may have to be simple, but it probably will cost about the same and will fit her much better. If she gets someone who isn't busy, they could finish it in one week easily.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One other idea - check the dress rental companies. Wear Today Gone Tomorrow, etc. they may have a few for very tall girls.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast