Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Get a Kindle? (or, Kindle vs. iPad)

I had a Kindle when they first came out. Then I got an iPad when they first came out. (Yes, DH is an early technology adopter!! ) So I sold the Kindle, seemed silly to have both when I could read on the iPad.

Now, the thing that KILLS me about the iPad is you can't read outside. You just can't see anything, it makes me crazy.

We have a pool now, and I have a beach vaca coming up, and will generally be outside the whole summer. Without being able to read!

Target is going to be clearancing the Kindles, so I'm considering getting the basic lowest price one. Should I do it? Or suffer along with the iPad. It *STILL* seems silly to have both, but if I can't read outdoors on the iPad... maybe not so silly.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

I have both. I don't think it's silly at all! I have an I have an iPod and a radio, that doesn't seem silly. They're used for different things. Especially if Target is selling them on clearance. I love my Kindle (I have the touch, but I would have been perfectly happy with a basic).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think you should get the basic Kindle. That's what I have and I really can't imagine not having it now. To me it's a different thing from an iPad.

Also, do you only have one iPad? What if you and DH both want to read at the same time?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd get a Kindle. I don't think they're the same. The iPod takes photos, right? Does that mean you don't also have a camera? Just because a couple functions are duplicated, doesn't mean it replaces another device completely. I can read on my phone, but sure like my Kindle better!
    Kris

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I hate reading on ipads and it's not good for your eyes. I don't have a Kindle, but I do plan on getting one once I'm through the pile of physical books I have waiting for me.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't have an ipad but I do have a Kindle. Get the kindle. You won't regret it and the amount of use will justify the expense. Get the Kindle Touch. It's not that much more $ than the basic.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    I had a Kindle when they first came out. Then I got an iPad when they first came out. (Yes, DH is an early technology adopter!! ) So I sold the Kindle, seemed silly to have both when I could read on the iPad.
    I have an ipod Touch and a Kindle. sure, I could read on my ipod Touch (did before I got my Kindle). But its a lot harder on my eyes.

I'd have kept the Kindle.

ETA And I prefer my basic Kindle. its not about money. Its about having actual buttons to turn pages with.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Another vote for getting the Kindle. My wonderful DH bought me the original iPad for my first Mother's Day so I read a lot of books on it but it's clunky to use for books IMO and I hate the bright light issue and it's definitely not as good for the eyes. I strongly recommend the Kindle book light cover if you like to read in bed which you will miss if you use the iPad like that. I love love my kindle so you won't regret it and my iPad is only wifi but my Kindle is 3G which is perfect for vacations or even reading when out waiting somewhere and you need a new book.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Kindle Touch, DH has a Kindle Touch (both were upgraded from the second generation Kindle). We also have the original Ipad, and we just got an Ipad 3.

Get the Kindle. I never read the Kindle app on the Ipad. I much prefer the Kindle. It's smaller, easier to take around in your purse/bag, easier to read, etc. I use the Ipad for a lot of things - reading my books isn't one of them.

I prefer the Nook over the Kindle, (Amazon is such a sketchy company...Target doesn't want to deal with them anymore for a reason) but I would definitely get an ereader with e-ink. FYI, the Nook simple touch is on sale at Target right now for $79.99 (20 off.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast