Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Camping - need to cook breakfast for 50 people

For our camping trip with DS's class, we're assigned to Sunday breakfast with 3 other families. We have to make enough for 50 people on camp stoves and take all the food on Friday. We could go and get something Saturday as near a grocery store. I won't be there, so DH is helping out with other families - so far DH's idea is for me to get up really early on Sunday and drive out there with krispy kremes for everyone - not doing that.

Do you have refrigeration? Scrambled eggs cooked w/ crumbled sausage would be easy.
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Quote Originally Posted by misshollygolightly View Post
    Do you have refrigeration? Scrambled eggs cooked w/ crumbled sausage would be easy.
    Coolers with ice. I told DH he'll need to get more ice on the Saturday.

I would say scrabbled eggs if you want to cook. If you are looking for non-cooking options we used to do large groups camping and have a bunch of those small cereal boxes, milk, yogurts, granola, small muffins or breakfast rolls and fresh fruit set up. It was more like a buffet type of thing so works out well for large groups.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've taken scrambled eggs already scrambled in a rubbermaid container ready to pour into pans. SO very easy.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ALl I can say is that this sounds like a nightmare. We are city folk, though.

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    ALl I can say is that this sounds like a nightmare. We are city folk, though.
    Yes it is a nightmare.

Everyone has great ideas - i think the individual cereal, muffins is the way to go. I did suggest bagels and one parent said how do you toast them - I said they don't have to be toasted. But turns out our coleman stove has 1 burner and 1 grill. DH could be in charge of toasting the bagels on the grill section for those that want toasted. Then have fixings of cream cheese, slices of ham, turkey, smoked salmon, slice of tomato, and some jam. Have some fruit and they're good.

2 other parents have restaurants, so I am hoping they come up with idea and organize it.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do Bagels, muffins, biscuits .... bagel fixens: cream cheese, sliced tomato, red onion, not sure I would even bother with Lox. Butter and Jam/jelly for the biscuits. Fruit salad, juice and coffee. If you want some protein maybe purchase some precooked sausages and just heat and eat.

little smokies roasted over the fire are awesome. We eat them with scrambled eggs or cereal etc
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Maybe either a bircher muesli that someone mixes up the day before, or a muesli bar with large tubs of yogurt and mix-ins like granola, raisins, grapes, apples, bananas, nuts (or not if there are allergies).

Or those huge Costco muffins from Costco cut in halves or quarters, plus a fruit salad.

The other thing that goes great with camping breakfasts is SPAM!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast