Default Is the GoCrib worth it?

I'm really on the fence about the GoCrib. I found it for $211 online but I can't register for it so it would be out-of-pocket. I can register for the standard pack n'play and know I will get it at my shower, but really like the idea of the GoCrib more. I love the portability of it. 11# and can be used as your carry-on so no checked bag fee for bringing a PNP on a flight. We will have to travel to the in-laws a few times per year plus vacations...usually 2 per year. Even just for going to a friend's house or my mom's it seems so much easier.

Thoughts?

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For us it has totally been worth it. We absolutely love it and I recommend it to everyone. We have been using it since DS was 3 months and have taken it everywhere(18 flights). Disney, a cruise, Grandmas, weekend trips, even use it around house. It is so quick and easy to set up and DS has always slept well in it. You absolutely won't regret buying it.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd be tempted, especially if you think you may have more than one child.

We went the bare-bones Graco PNP route and it's been totally fine for houseguests and short trips but it's big and heavy for travel.

If you do get just a PNP and travel to the same relatives regularly I'd consider keeping a PNP there or borrowing from friends when you visit. They hold up well and the design never really seems to change so they're easy to find used from friends or relatives.

thanks for the feedback! Man, I wish I could get the darn thing via BBB so I could add it to my registry. DH thinks I'm nuts for wanting it and doesn't understand why we can't just get the PNP. I watch my sister and her hubby deal with that bulky thing and I can't imagine lugging that (on top of everything else) everywhere we go!

I think I might just registry for a highchair (which we do not need as we are borrowing our neighbors) and then return that and put the money towards the GoCrib!

What else do I need for the GoCrib...a sheet of some sort? Any brand work better than others? Anything else? Thanks!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I traveled with the PnP once... and never again. I vowed never to fly with that thing again (even for car trips it takes up a LOT of trunk space). We have one at my parents' house, but it's there permanently. Those things are not portable IMO. And you'll end up paying for it to be checked when you fly, so not a cheap option if you travel a lot (probably cheaper to buy a simple PnP to keep at the IL's)

For this baby I'm considering the Gocrib, the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib and the Phil & Teds traveler. Still haven't made up my mind.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

another vote for finding a used PNP to keep at the ILs and grandparents. and then the gocrib for other travel. i honestly can't imagine traveling with either one.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jeichmann21 View Post
    I think I might just registry for a highchair (which we do not need as we are borrowing our neighbors) and then return that and put the money towards the GoCrib!

What else do I need for the GoCrib...a sheet of some sort? Any brand work better than others? Anything else? Thanks!
    We just use the Graco PnP sheets. Can you do a universal registry on Amazon? Then you could register for the GoCrib.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

I'd LOVE to do a universal registry but wasn't sure how well that would go over with folks. Has anyone done this w/o complaints from family. Do they have to pay for shipping? What about returns? Maybe I should start a new post?

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We love our gocrib! I think it might be my favorite baby purchase (outside of strollers). We seriously take it everywhere.

I did an amazon registry and not many people used it, but no one complained about it.

As far as sheets, I have used regular pnp sheets and they pull up the mattress a bit at the corner. I finally just bought the plush gocrib sheet- much better.

You won't regret it!