Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Summer shoes for toddlers

DD is just about 18 months old. We live in sunny So. Cal and its already in the 90s so summer weather is here. DD is a proficient walker/runner now and very active.

I was planning on getting a closed toe (or partial closed toe) sandal for sure, but does you DC ever wear sneakers in the warmer months? It can get into the low 100 degrees where we live.

Plus, for those parents of toddler girls, what has your experience been with other sandal styles that expose the toes? I am primarily asking about everyday shes and not special occasion. Has anyone ever gotten the flip flop style for toddlers?

Any favorite brands (besides Keens) for this season? Plus, any brands or styles that you won't buy again and why?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Keens rule here- sorry!

In the old days when ds1 was little, I bought open toed Tevas and they were just fine. I hate flip flop style ones for kids, as do they. If you want flip flop ones, Keens make a nifty one with covered toes.

Sneakers never get any summer wear.

For the record, I have nothing against Keens. I know they are popular with this board, but was just curious if anyone had other brands or styles they like. I just cant afford them right now.

While I love flip flops for me, I think that might be a better style for when she is much older. With as much activity as she does, my sense is something like a keen or closed toe type sandal would offer her more protection.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

See Kai Run sandals are the only ones I buy. Closed toe and very cute. I also like Livie and Luca but they run wide.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We got DD a pair of Keens for this summer, and we love them. A little girl in her class has Target-brand shoes that look basically just like Keens. No personal experience with them, but I saw them at Target and I think they were $15-$20 or so, so they might be worth trying out.

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got DD these from Marshall's for $14.99. Ross has a very similar pair for $13.99.

http://m.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kids_s...rt+Sandals.jsp

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by teresah00 View Post
    We've done keens or fisherman sandals. I don't like open toe at that age.. Still too much stumbling.
    At that age, I did only fisherman-type sandals (closed toe), Pedipeds and Stride Rite.

I only recently started buying DD open toe sandals and just got her her first pair of Crocs.

eno0609 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Brands that we've had good experiences with are Stride Rite (fisherman sandals), Geox (open toe sporty sandals) and Pedi-Ped (fisherman sandals).

We haven't tried Keens but I'm thinking of getting DS a pair this summer.

We don't like flip flops, not enough support, their toes seem too exposed and our daycare doesn't allow them. Although they have Crocs, we only let them wear them at the playground, not if they're running around on pavement.
    DD '06
    DS '09

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I would NOT do open toed sandals. Those are asking for injury IMHO.
    We've done Stride Rite Angler fisherman sandles--DS wore those the summer he turned 2 and DD is wearing the same pair this summer at 2.5 (she has small feet). We've also done Keens.
    My kids love their crocs but we let them wear them sparingly because they tend to fall down in them.
    But they both do wear sneakers some in summer. DS has been wearing sneakers almost exclusively in summer for the last several years because his feet get too stinky in sandals, and he's super active so needs the toe protection.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought some Stride-Rites that are open on the sides for airflow but have closed toes for protection.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast